• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My 580B gets painted

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
I had my 580B painted. The colour is cat yellow mixed 20:1 with orange. The cab paint is flat and gloss black mixed 50/50. The 580B decal is #321-3138. The 5" loader decal is 321-3134 and 321-3135 and has been trimmed. The dipper decal is an updated # and so the font changed(ug). Phil:)

Attachments

• 580B repainted.JPG
    580B repainted.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 2,323
Reactions: DB2

Bayrat

Occupation
Dig Safely Field Representative
Nice Phil! Did you do the prep work yourself?

Phil

Occupation
Thanks for the compliments. The inside was painted yellow too, but I think originally it was black. The machine only had one layer of paint on it so it covered well. I'll attach a picture of a machine painted "power yellow", which I think is the correct colour for a late 'B' model. Phil:)

Attachments

• 480 Case repainted.JPG
    480 Case repainted.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 2,229

danielm

Very nice!

I painted a JD450 track loader earlier this yr and discovered how much surface area there is. A week of prep work and over three gallons of paint.

How much paint did you use?

Phil

Occupation
Most backhoes with cabs take 3 gallons. Some a bit more if the cab inside is done,or the painter gets underneath the machine to do a light coat, or the buckets are completely painted. Phil:)

coopers

Phil,

Nice looking machine. I drove B's for a while, they're nice machines. Little cramped for someone like me over 6 feet but it worked! I love that orange color and the deeper orange some of the C's and D's went to. I hate the K's color and brown cab! So ugly, orange and black on case look great!

On another note, do you have any other pics of your backhoe? Any action shots?

Take care,

Blake
WA

Phil

Occupation
Thanks. That's the only picture I have of it. Winter has come so I've parked her until spring and it's in a bad spot for another pic. I agree with your thoughts on the colours of past machines. Some seem particularly pleasing to the eye. I never liked the brown cab on an E, but I can see the need for change as well, when it comes to selling a new model. Phil;)

newjcb123uk

British Backhoe loader Restored

Thats a fine job on the Case! So heres a couple of pics of some of the work we do on a daily basis at CJM Plant - This is a JCB 3Cmk11 1968 that we serviced and repainted. This machine went on to build a house.

At CJM plant we refurbish old machines for farmers and self builders - I try and get them to leave the yard as original as possible even if it dips into the profit margin.

Have hundreds of pictures of similar machines we've restored - so must post some if use like?

Attachments

• memory card1 129.jpg
    memory card1 129.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 2,491
  • memory card1 093.jpg
    memory card1 093.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 2,380

Phil

Occupation
Very nice, those old JCB's are very hard to find here. I saw one in Ottawa once and it was the ugliest backhoe I have ever seen. Which proves beauty is in the eye of the beholder.:p You must get into sandblasting in a big way or a similar method of paint removal? Do you have many decal patterns on file for those that are unavailable? Phil:)

danielm

What is a good method for removing old flaking paint/rust on an old machine?

I worry sandblasting would get blasting media in the works.

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
Been pondering buying an older JCB 3C and restoring it head to toe these pictures are just another push for me to do it

newjcb123uk

What is a good method for removing old flaking paint/rust on an old machine?

I worry sandblasting would get blasting media in the works.

You need to block every orifice (of the machine that is) if sandblasting as a slight bit of grit in the engine cylinder sleeve can cause nightmares - one of the best options is to use buffing pads on an orbital sander! least you can do bits at your own pace.

Attachments

• 001_catsmall.jpg
    001_catsmall.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,221

Bayrat

Occupation
You use buffing pads on an orbital sander? That must be to scuff the paint, not to go after the rust and flakes correct? What kind of pad?

Phil

Occupation
I've used 80 grit before to completely remove the paint on the hood, loader arms and other places that stand out. When the disc gets dull, I use it to blend in other spots that are flaking. They do work well for me and are an inexpensive option to strip flat areas. Phil:)

Bayrat

Occupation
Thanks for the tip! Most of my rust is on the flat surfaces, I probably won't even paint the loader arms or backhoe. I assume spraying is the only way that will look decent?