• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

my favorite truck mack dm-800

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
The offset cab was great in some applications,a big improvement.In offroad dump/mixer (DM) duty there is no comparison to a conventional cab.In mixer configuration with cab control of the mixer you could drive and unload at the same time because you could see much better.In dump truck work not only do you have better visibility but you can reach the tailgate handle from the drivers seat......whats that?......I can hear it now.
Air operated tailgates were not always an option on dumps trucks,we used to do it by hand at one time.
For an over the road truck I would not have much preference although Roadway had a fleet of U models at one time,they either got a great deal on them or they liked them but they were a very common sight years ago.Ron G

Dumpsterdavid

The offset cab was great in some applications,a big improvement.In offroad dump/mixer (DM) duty there is no comparison to a conventional cab.In mixer configuration with cab control of the mixer you could drive and unload at the same time because you could see much better.In dump truck work not only do you have better visibility but you can reach the tailgate handle from the drivers seat......whats that?......I can hear it now.
Air operated tailgates were not always an option on dumps trucks,we used to do it by hand at one time.
For an over the road truck I would not have much preference although Roadway had a fleet of U models at one time,they either got a great deal on them or they liked them but they were a very common sight years ago.Ron G

The shorter hood on the U model was a factor when states had overall length laws for truck and trailer combinations. Mack also advertised a sight advantage for passing on a two lane road because you could see futher down the road without weaving across the center line.