• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My new buttontop

marcosabatino

Hey,
So about 3 months ago I bought a linkbelt buttontop 3400. I had to work in alberta on a oil rig so i didnt get to run it until the last 2 weeks when I came back and I finished off the last night of loading and have been pilling all the debre since then. I just thought id show it off leave any comments as having something on tracks in completly new to me. Ive always ran a skidder since I was a kid. (lol Im still only 21). Anyways, any tips on how to maintain it? How can I measure the undercarage %?

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 745

marcosabatino

I should also add that it loaded 24,000 meters and my skidder skidder 8,000 meters. Unfortunitly being a 1995 its an older machine with who knows how many hours on it. It needs an operator who is gentile with it and really cares; Like anything else. But anyways for whatever reason the tracks fell off twice. once because they wernt pumped up in the month before it happened. The second time because all the pads were so loose they put extra stress on the rails that one broke. But other than that its been a good machine only 3 hoses broke threw that time. One of the hydrolic pipes leaks quite a bit and I believe its for one of the tracks because one side is a little weak.

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
From my understanding, a linkbelt is basically a case excavator, just with a little bit different cab and paint color. I think a Case 9040B is the same as Link Belt 3400. If your rails are falling off is your track tension tight enough? If your rails are breaking, chances are they are fairly worn. To measure your track wear take up all of your track sag (stick a pipe in the sprocket and drive ahead) and measure across 4 track links, from the begining of one pin to the begining of the 4th. A aftermarket undercarriage dealer like union tractor can probally give you the spec. I might be able to find you the case one.
Basic maintenance is change engine oil and filter every 250hrs, fuel filters every 500hrs, hydraulic filters every 1000hrs, final drive oil every 1000hrs, swing box every 1000hrs. Check your opperators manual for more specifics. Dont bother changing your hydraulic oil because all forestry equipment are hydraulic oil eating machines. Grease everything every 8hrs, (except your turntable, because it has a grease seal, and too much grease will pop the seal out. grease it every 40hrs)

marcosabatino

Does anyone out there have one of these? I am from Prince George BC and I only know of 2 other ones. Mind you it is getting pretty old but even the new ones are far and few between. I want to know everything about this machine so give me all your opinions the good and the bad. thx

marcosabatino

Okay so I found a complete undercarage where i can just take the top of the machine and put it on the new turntable. Its from a burn linkbelt processor the only thing is that it isnt a highwalker. The price is $10,000 to me this is a good deal because if the tracks fall off again. Does anyone run a buttontop that isnt a highwalker?

adr02

I wouldn't go that route, the highwalker is longer and wider, you'll be alot less stable, and more tippy with a grapple full, less productive, and harder to get rid of. If you don't know what shape your undercarriage is in, get someone out to look at it, might save you some money. Maybe you just need new track chains and pad bolts.