• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My old iron

MTI Mark

Assuming the picture works, you are looking at my 53 Studebaker 2R5 pickup that I have been working on for almost 3 years... it takes that long to fix lots of rust, something you southern guys have no idea of. It is powered with a Ford 302, C6 trans and 9" rear axle. It is mostly stock other than the powertrain. Its a blast to drive, and attracts all sorts of attention.

Studebakerdone1.jpg

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
You have to wonder why Studebaker went out of business.They made good cars and trucks which were very stylish,they look good today even.Same with Packard yet they couldn't even make it together.I guess that they just made too good products and it ate them up.Ron G

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
International made a good pick up and one ton.Guess they lasted to long.Couldn't sell new ones.

MTI Mark

Funny you should mention the wheel covers. I removed them a couple days ago and am running the plain-jane steelies, more fitting to the truck I think.

Ron, I think Studebaker was maybe a little to far ahead of their time in some respects. They used a steel bottom in the bed and double walled bed sides, both items that the competition didnt use until the 60s. Their 53 up Hawk type coupes were the most sleek cars of the day compared the bulbuous automobiles of that generation,(with exception of the Corvette and Thunderbrid). They were into the 60s design back in the early 50s.
I often wonder if the AMC Pacer might have done better in the 90s rather than the 70s. I guess the moral of the the story might be progress with the times rather than getting ahead of it.