• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

My path to 3D machine control

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
So it has been painfully obvious to me over the last couple years that 3D is important. It is nearly impossible to compete with the competition who has 3D/GPS machine control on many projects. Several times this year on bids, the spec calls for GPS equipment to be incorporated on the project. Aside from requirements like this, the shear time and labor savings of 3D machine control makes it a game changer on capturing bids and being more profitable when you do get the bid.

So my thought process has been to focus on what aspect of the various project is causing the most pain in not being 3D (I have 2D on two excavators and a box grader). It came down to excavating down to subgrade on building pads and completing asphalt/concrete grade on parking lots. While not impossible to do with staking, the time, money in staking, restaking projects, and the over/under ex done when doing it by the eye of the operators is very painful as well. The next item I think is most important to me is the excavator.

The next point I am deliberating is what piece of equipment gives me the most flexibility/capability at a price point that I can justify.

Here is where I am at currently, but am open to hearing other opinions.

I would mount this on my Minitour.

I would run this off of a Total Station, and while there are some limitations that, it will give me the accuracy for asphalt and concrete prep. I can also use the total station for other things as well, but that's of lessor concern.

This Sharp Grade attachment, because the ends can hydraulicly fold in, I can use it like a box grader. I currently have a Sharp Grade HD B87 2D box grader, that I have presold if I go this route. I currently have a Bobcat grader attachment as well that I will sell. Fully extended the blade length is 11'. With the weight, power and the amount of track that the Minitour puts on the ground, I think this will be very effective at cutting grade at a productive level.

I like this over a dedicated compact grader, its cheaper, works better in tight areas, easier to transport and for the size of project I do it fits better.

There are 3 comparably sized excavating companies here using this same method. They 3D'd this attachment (they all use a BC grader) as their 3D equipped machine and use 2D or eyeball it to get close and finish with this concept for precision.

I am about 90% sure who's 3D system I will use, but I will see that the thoughts are on this before I discuss that.

I am curious what the thoughts are on this.