• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mysterious blue plastic in case 580b trans and help diagnosing trans issue

chuckiecage

first sorry for the long post but I am trying to be thorough. as has been suggested.

Finally got the sump tube pulled out on my 580 B, really expected to find what everybody else seems to have found which is a clogged and ripped screen however much to my surprise the screen pictured below was clean with only two small pieces of crap in it as you can see. But then looking in the sump I was amazed to find the blue plastic chunks along with the expected red gasket material or permatex.
I ran a magnet through prior to retrieving the plastic and found approximately a 1/4 penny size amount of metal shavings which is also pictured below, some of the shavings may actually have been from the chrome coating on the magnet since obviously the sidewall of the transmission was more attractive to the magnet then to the steel bar it was connected to when I put it in there. My assumption is this is an acceptable amount of metal for this transmission but the plastic is really driving me crazy, I have looked at every potential part inside this transmission front to back and cannot find anything that's plastic that goes inside of it, it doesn't look to be a cap from an oil container because it's very hard and brittle approximately 1/16 inch thick. Tried my best jigsaw reconstruction with no luck so I'm curious if anybody has any take on what this could be.

20190322_144514.jpg 20190322_145604.jpg 20190322_145607.jpg 20190322_150144.jpg

I also would like to post the symptoms this tractor is experiencing that led me to disassembling it in the first place in hopes that somebody may be able to point me in the right direction, as can be seen in the video links for the transmission the fluid is pretty dark but doesn't seem to have a burnt smell to it however my sniffers not as good as it used to be.
When I originally bought this tractor occasionally when it was cold it seemed as though when you were driving either forward or reverse especially at a low speed near idle one tire would seem act like the final drive gears were misaligned or something and have to get resynchronized, it could be mildly felt when it did it, I wouldn't say it would pull hard but you could feel something wasn't right as the tires rotated it just seemed like it was not quite in sync. It was not one particular tire either it would randomly shift from one side to the other, not hearing any noises or any significant issues I just kept using it figuring I would eventually tear into it and fix it and until then I would just go easy on it. It never really got any worse.
After some particularly heavy use of moving loaded buckets of dirt back and forth I was backing up the driveway and heard a noise that could best be described as a cross between a low pitched grinding and a metal hydraulic line kind of banging underneath against something, this only seemed to happen under a heavy load, this tractor has never came out of first gear since I've owned it as I'm in no hurry to go anywhere, a couple days later it seemed to have gotten significantly louder and took on more of a sound at one point of like a gear spinning on a stripped splined shaft, keep in mind this is only in reverse. At this point my biggest fear was that the reverse countershaft was going south. I have not been able to get a good view of it as yet, waiting on a borescope to poke around in there. However the tractor still moved back and forth except for one time it seemed like it had bound up and did not want to move in reverse after traveling about 10 feet just seemed like it was stopped against something, I only pushed the throttle to about a quarter to try to get it to move back and stopped so as not to break anything, but by putting it forward and an putting it immediately back in reverse it backed up like normal without the noise as long as I kept my foot out of it. I finished the job I was doing and got it down and started tearing it apart and expecting the worst. So far I've been through it from the rear end all the way into the torque tube and have found nothing but this plastic stuff mentioned above. Very little metal filings no broken or chipped teeth anywhere no obviously loose gears the crown gear which I was suspecting at one point of being loose after reading in the forms in the rear end is tight from what I can tell, although I'm not completely sure what I'm looking at in some areas on this type of equipment because it is not were my knowledge lies, I have included links to two videos. one is the drive train in motion. and the other is the looseness of the clutch linkage, I will also post pictures of everything. I'm curious if anybody has run into this problem and knows what I might be looking for or what the check next, one final thing that I can say is that I brought it up on the outriggers and decided to actually try using something other than first gear, when I would put it in any of the other gears especially fourth with no load on the tires they did not want to spin but once they started to spin it was like they would bind up almost every revolution at the same point and stop spinning and you have to give it enough gas to overcome that binding point and then it would be fine for another revolution unless you kept the speed up. it did this in both forward and reverse as a matter of fact in reverse I had to go almost a full throttle before I could get it to spin in reverse. the pressure gauge on the dash is still in the green albeit on the low-end of the green and consistent and stable no matter how long it's ran from completely cold completely hot it never changes. when I push the clutch it dumps like it should. as you can see with the clutch pedal there is significant wear in the linkage, when I push it in it comes up about 80% but that last 10% has to be pulled up manually, i'm assuming that's the spring and will add a spring to it if tightening the linkage does not fix it. At thanks in advance to anyone who can give me any information that might guide me into getting this fixed I could really use it soon as I'm falling behind in what I have to do here thanks, Chuck.
drivetrain in motion

clutch linkage

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I really couldn't tell anything from the first video other than you need to change the gear oil in the transaxle, looks like it has water in it. Check the shifter boot that's a good area for water to ingress into transaxle.
On the declutch pedal there is a bushing that goes into the bell crank for the bolt. The bolt is eccentric for adjustment. Is the plastic hard or rubbery feeling, if it's hard it may be a piece of bottle cap, and if it's rubbery it could be silicone. There aren't any plastic pieces in the shuttle or transaxle that I can think of. Your noise in reverse could be your brakes trying to lock up if they are dirty inside and balls in drums could be hanging up.

chuckiecage

thanks for the reply, yes the gear oil needs changed. it's not the right weight to begin with according to the specs and you're right it is coming from the shifter boot.
Haven't looked for the bushing on the declutch pedal yet but will check that out is as you could see it sure was loose.
As for the plastic it's approximately 1/16 inch thick and very hard I am unable to bend or break it by hand, it seems similar to ABS not soft like HDPE or PE, I do plastic welding so I am pretty familiar with the types. it's definitely not a cap, no threads or other features, very smooth,it's the larger pieces have an odd shape kind of concentric but formed to a specific curve, this plastic is much too hard to have been deformed in the gears it would just shatter under that kind of pressure so the large pieces that are left are of the original shape. I'm trying to think of what have or might have originally been in the cab that was a hard plastic that could've fell in there but from the original overall size that I can estimate it would've barely fit through the fill hole in one piece. As for the red chunks they definitely are a silicone that has came loose.
I never thought about the brakes being any part of this but you have a very valid point, the brakes do not work at all. the pedals do not even stay up. I'm not sure if the springs are missing or what the deal is with them but I'm going to tear into them after I put this back together and see whether there the culprit because for the life of me I can't see anything else that would be causing this short of some major problem inside the torque converter or the shuttle, before I took the video it did seem to be doing that binding thing in neutral inside the transmission but like I said it seemed like it was coming farther upstream, I watched the video again very carefully and from :46 to :49 it seems to of done it just ever so slightly more you can see the gears stop turning and abruptly and then start to turn again very slowly it's a much more exaggerated version of that when it actually does it you can also see some of the same type of movement from1:17 to 1:39, I wish I would've taken a video when it was cold because it would've been much more parent, with the fluid being kind of dark and probably no maintenance being done on this tractor for God knows how many years I'm going to change the fluid and the filter, when I received it I had to put fluid in it because it was low and I use the TCH fluid but that stuff is outrageously expensive for someone on a fixed income so I'm hoping to get away with a substitute for TCH that still meets the specs but I'm having trouble finding one that I trust, so suggestions are helpful. Getting back to the brakes, I never even knew there were balls in there not exactly sure what purpose they serve, I guess I'll figure that out when I tear it apart but once I get the new fluid in there I will attempt to run it again and see if it still binds before the rear end like it while taking video. thanks again, Chuck

chuckiecage

It just occurred to me that if the Plastic on the shuttle handle Was blue, since mine is missing it may have been a part of that but somebody would have to be pretty sloppy to let a piece that size fall in there

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
It just occurred to me that if the Plastic on the shuttle handle Was blue, since mine is missing it may have been a part of that but somebody would have to be pretty sloppy to let a piece that size fall in there
All I can say is there is a saying that goes:
"If you build something that is idiot proof someone will just go and find a better idiot!"

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator

Kids love colorful things..... and they really love stuffing things into openings.... ;)

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I couldn't tell by your video which shuttle you have either the Rockford or the Twin Disc. You say it seems to lock up in neutral or seems to lock up when shifted to forward or reverse, it sounds like one clutch or the other is not releasing correctly. The Twin Disc has dump valves in piston housing that you can see from the outside.