• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Mystery mini grader identification

iowahill

Occupation
Retired, owner of Thomas Fischer Company, consultant
grader-1.jpg

Anybody out there that can identify the make of this mini grader? I spotted this grader just off the road on the way to my property. It has a 4-cylinder Ford diesel motor, but no other identification of make that I could see. It has hydraulic drive and is likely someone's "project". Looks like there were problems with the finals on the rear drive. I'm looking into finding out the owner of what is possibly a long-delayed effort, or maybe even abandoned. If I can find out more of it's history and missing parts I'd like to see if it might be available for sale. My kind of challenge! Thanks in advance, -Tom

grader-1.jpg

grader rear axle.jpg

56wrench

It looks like the planetary hub piled up and is mostly missing. The hub may have been an Auburn Gear, Borg-Warner, or similar. New, those planetary hubs are expensive but may be found used but should be inspected first and checked for ‘silver’ oil and filings

iowahill

Occupation
It looks like the planetary hub piled up and is mostly missing. The hub may have been an Auburn Gear, Borg-Warner, or similar. New, those planetary hubs are expensive but may be found used but should be inspected first and checked for ‘silver’ oil and filings
Thanks for the update. I don't know about what may or may not be with it as I haven't found the owner yet. Any idea of what the make is? Thanks, -Tom

iowahill

Occupation
Yes, it looks pretty sparse and basic. I thought at first it might have been a one-off. If I can locate the owner and find out how much more of it is around, I might try to cut a deal and have another project. Thanks for the reply, -Tom

iowahill

Occupation
It looks like mowingman has nailed it. I'd have opined it was homebuilt, she's a pretty basic piece of kit!

I agree, and it looks like a Puckett Bros. 510D with a single rear wheel, hydrostatic drive through a planetary gear. Thanks for the confirmation! -Tom

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Iowahill, I think you'll find the Puckett Bros 510D is a different and somewhat heavier model, to the one you photographed - but the 510BBE appears to be the model that fills the bill.

iowahill

Occupation
I agree that the picture of the 510D shows larger tires, and there was the tandem rear axle version as well. I'll have to do some more research, but greatly appreciate the replies and help! -Tom

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
308127_2130692067380_1353979417_n.jpg
Our old PB510. This machine has been re invented many times over the years. Alitec, PSI, and now Mauldin. https://www.facebook.com/messenger_...o2HgSHA0GBT9woIlgNy&thread_id=100000744500996. This is the latest incarnation.

Motor Grader

Occupation
Technology Solutions Expert
Puckett Brothers Grader. Later it was the PSI and now Mauldin builds it although it’s been through many re-engineers since the Puckett days.