• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

myth busters

cortlandj86

anyone else confused a bit with all of the it4 regluations and things? i've read enough and have it down for the most part but there is a lot to know and deal with. especially if you run a business(thank god i dont) personally i thought we would be doing maintenance more often, which is true with some things but not all. i was sent this article that kinda nips some of the myths in teh butt. here is that link. i know it was good for me to know and has helped other folks also. hope it does for you all too http://blog.machinefinder.com/4445/john-deere-it4-myths

durallymax

500 if using JD oil

250 if not JD oil, because JD oil is that much better.

400hrs for Agco/Massey/Challenger SCR Engines regardless of what oil it is

600hrs for CNH regardless of oil

These are for Large Frame High Horsepower Row Crop Tractors.

I can say on our Agco With SCR after 380hrs the oil was still clear.

So which one is more to maintain? Both. The DPF/EGR motors need their oil changed slightly more often, and need their DPFs cleaned around 4000-5000hours IF THEY MAKE IT THAT FAR!!!. Ask a trucker about what they were told about how long their DPFs would last and how long they did last.

The SCR motors require the DEF filters to be changed in that 4000-5000hour range as well. Ive changed one and its much simpler than removing the DPF in my opinion. However you have to deal with the DEF fluid itself which simply doesnt work for some people. On-road its a no brainer, but off road it can be hard.

Fuel economy on the SCR versus EGR motors that I have seen has been phenomenal.

Im an advocate of SCR, but I understand the other concepts and their advantages,

heres an interesting read

http://www.tractorlife.com/Maintenance_of_Tier_4_engines.php?action=results&poll_ident=9