• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need a lift cylinder for a 980B

oarwhat

Pulled the rod out of my 980B and found the mounting pin (not the right word) broken off the body. So now I need a body or a whole cylinder. Just bought the machine but didn't see it. DAMMIT!! anyone have one?????????????????????????

Body 7j9817 Cylinder 7j9818

Cutterjohn

Thinking you may be talking about the trunnions on the cylinder (old timers call it the barrel) see attached.
Best bet is a used one, as CAT has discontinued both the new and reman parts, Those were a bit pricey
even when offered.980B.jpg

oarwhat

You're exactly right. That's the part that broke. How the previous owner broke that 4 1/4 " trunnion is beyond me. I'm searching for a used one. Thanks Randy

oarwhat

Called them with no luck. I'm trying to call all around so I don't have to pay a commission or finders fee. It's a snow machine so I don't need it for a few months but, I don't want it in the shop all summer. Thanks for the lead Randy

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Pulled the rod out of my 980B and found the mounting pin (not the right word) broken off the body. So now I need a body or a whole cylinder. Just bought the machine but didn't see it. DAMMIT!! anyone have one?????????????????????????

Body 7j9817 Cylinder 7j9818

Oarwhat,

I had to check an old equipment list thought you might have one of our old machines!

Try calling Mark at S&S Tractor in Marcellus, NY 13108
(315) 673-1075

That is not an uncommon problem with those type cylinders, things get loose in the boom and put strain on things.

As you say this is a "snow machine" I'm guessing it wont be digging in hard stone. As a last resort you could find a good welder to Vee it out and weld it back on.

oarwhat

Thanks Kshansen. I'll try them Monday. Local hydraulic shop says they might be able to weld it. I have 3 of these now. I'll post serial numbers next week if you want to see if any were yours. Thanks Randy

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Thanks Kshansen. I'll try them Monday. Local hydraulic shop says they might be able to weld it. I have 3 of these now. I'll post serial numbers next week if you want to see if any were yours. Thanks Randy

Tell Mark Ken gave you his name. They are a small shop near us and they work on a lot of old equipment. They were Cat people back when your 980 was fresh from Peoria Ill.

We did have a few 980's over the years plain 980's,B's,C, Now have 980 G's and one 980K. I'm sure some of the old ones are out there somewhere, maybe overseas.
Used to have many 966's and 988's around New York State. If you have any 966's put them in an auction like Iron Planet. It shocked me how much some of the 966C's our company sold in the last couple years brought in. Not needing to run or even be assembled with tires and you could get $5,000!!

Last edited: