• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need Advise

Tri-Star

I am joining the union and they need a grader man, I have never run one before but understand the concept. I have ran multiple machines(backhoes, dozers, trackhoes, skidsteers, and so on) and am proficient on them. I have been around heavy equipment all my life and understand the principles of moving dirt. Usually after a couple hours in the seat of a new machine I can handle it very well. So to all you seasoned grader men, how hard will it be to get the hang of it?

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Find an operators book/ guide and L-E-A-R-N hard. Just so you understand more. Grader operators here get good money.

Grader4me

For some it doesn't take to long to become a competent grader operator..maybe a few months...or a couple of years, others it takes a little longer. Some work at it for many years, reach a certain point and thats it. To clarify, I know operators that have been on a grader for years and can still only do the basics. Can you class them as seasoned grader operators? No. Point is some can learn quickly and some can't, as you either have it or you don't. Learn in a couple of hours? Good luck with that. ;)

Its a machine that you can always learn something from, as it can do so many different things. When you stop learning and think you know it all? Well, I've seen those types to. They don't last on a grader.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
grader operator

Go for it. What do you have to lose!!!! A good operator will always take advantage of an opportunity to learn a new machine. Go for it. :)

Tri-Star

Thanks for all the advise guys!! Just to let you know I am not trying to master a grader in a day or a week just wanting to know if a guy that is good on most equipment he has run and quick to catch on can produce decent work with a little practice. Buy the way the job they are needing a operator for is maintaining gravel haul roads between a demo job and landfill! So would you really need to be a good grader hand to slick down a haul road?

Grader4me

That would be the place to learn. Just take your time and think about what you are doing. Sorry to sound so negative in my first post..just trying to keep it real. Hope you get the job and good luck. Anything that we can help you with, just shout.

Tri-Star

Really thanks alot, ya'll have been really helpfull!
Thanks again Brian

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
if it was easy, laborers would run them

Tri-Star

qball I think we can say that about most equipment! But you know there is a big difference in running a machine and being productive on one. I never said it would be easy.

catskinner 10

Occupation
Retired Operator/Master Mechanic 55Yr Member IUOE
Correct! Anybody can move forward and backwards. It's hitting the ground with the bucket (blade in your case) that counts.
When you can feel the machine with your butt, and have an eye for grade, your almost there. Practice!
TGP
38yr member IUOE 520

Sharky

Grading is a tough position, but it also depends on what your doing, snow is much easier than gravel, and finish is much tougher than just making a road look/feel better. Still learning all I can myself. If you dont learn something new everyday, then your not paying attention.