• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need air eliminator for diesel

jimpad

When I get my machine in a nose down condition I believe the fuel outlet at the tank is sucking air which results in low power and stalling. Is there a device I can install which will burp the air out of the fuel line to the injector pump? Any recommendations?

hosspuller

Don't patch a problem... figure out what the problem is ... I had a diesel that would spit & sputter depending on machine position too. Root cause was a leaking fuel pick up hose in the tank. It would suck air. Replaced hose, problem fixed.

jimpad

No I'm not. In fact today it's doing it all the time even with a full tank. So, I don't know I've also thought maybe the fuel is getting hot. I'll try blowing out the suction line.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Have you inspected the fuel filters?
Is there an in-line fuel filter before the lift/primer pump?
Check the fuel line between the lift/primer pump for fuel flow / blockage - & clear it by blowing compressed air down it, back into the tank.

jimpad

Yes. Changed both filters, cleaned separator, cleaned banjo fittings. I've blown out the suction line before with mixed results. Thing is it comes and goes. Seems to do it less when cold. Almost always does it when nose down but today even on the flat. I think I'll flip separator upside down and see if air actually accumulates. Pretty sure dropping/inspecting the tank is a big job.

jimpad

Actually, I think I'll first put a pressure gauge in the separator and see what pressure is.

jimpad

Yes, I do. That's an interesting one. Pressure gauge should help find that.

jimpad

Pulled outlet at tank and it was clean. Blew out line back to pump. Could not get it primed... come to find out I think the lift pump was bad. Took it apart and it hasn't missed a beat all day!

jimpad

I'm baaaaaaack! Downhill fuel problem persists!. I stuck the machine in a hole and it stalled. Fuel tank was probably about a quarter full. Disconnected fuel pump outlet and it was sputtering but not really pumping. Dumped separator and pump would not re fill separator. Filled fuel tank full and separator filled and machine ran fine. I think that port at the back of the tank that is piped to the "To Injection Pump (Out)" is getting exposed to air when front down machine position and that is what's causing the problem. What is the purpose of this line... should there be a check valve in it?

Capture.PNG

jimpad

Also, anyone know the purpose of the pipe connected at 'X'?

Delmer

X is just a filler neck vent. It's small to get you to shut off with a small amount of air left, then it will equalize to keep from burping fuel out the filler neck.

"to injection pump (out)" would only have a check valve at the injection pump, it shouldn't cause stalling while running. I'd focus on the supply line in the tank, or a vacuum leak between the tank and injection pump, or a floater in the tank that stays safely out of the way when the tank is full. Key to that was if the pump was pumping air and sputtering fuel when it wouldn't pump, or if it was pumping nothing. Foam bubbles is an easy way to tell if it's pumping air, remember the air volume will be much less than fuel volume out of any fuel pump, they're not good at it.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I've been reading this "new to me " thread, i would strongly recommend replacing the fuel hose from the tank to the separator and from the separator to the lift pump. If you can find hose similar to parker push-loc, all the better. You want to stay away from natural rubber products. As mentioned earlier, Catman13, the rubber breaks down. The challenge is, you'll never see a leak. You either replace with known good hose or always have that as an unknown variable. Good luck.