• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need career advice

grizzlycan2011

Hey everyone,

I need a little advice. I currently work a trucking job hauling water in the oilfield. I'm trying to get in the dirt work business and I've just been given the oppourtunity. A owner of a dirt company wants to hire me as a dump truck/heavy equipment operator. Starting pay is $120 a day, $150 a day after 30 days. It's a job where I'd have to file my own taxes, he said they'll start doing w2s after the first of the year. And any other time I'd jump right on it, but I'm building a house and my bank won't allow me to close on our house just starting out with a 1099 company. So I have two options, leave this opportunity behind or work my @$$ off for 3 months until I'm clear of the bank. My current employer is lenient on what time I come to work. Is having 2 full time jobs doable? I'm very afraid of leaving this opportunity. Just need a little advice.

grizzlycan2011

Well there's always a catch, I later found out that these were 12hour days. Kinda hard to find a decent paying dirt work job in my area. So he was wanting to pay me $10 an hour.

grizzlycan2011

I did get another job offer a few days ago for $15 an hour, which sounded great but something didn't seem right about it. First it was for a shop building company, but the guy hiring me said I'll get a pay check from the shopbuilders but I work for his company. He said his company was a dirt work business but his office was at the shopbuilders. This guy is 25 years old and said he owns 2 other dirt pits and is well known all over the country. And the he kept mentioning his other hotshot business. I don't know the more I listened the sicker my stomach got. Too many things just made 0 sense.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
when the hair on the back of your neck stands up you better listen it normally does not lie

grizzlycan2011

Well I don't know if I should give out personal information, but I'm sure he's full of crap. I'm just gonna walk the other way. Are hitting up the dirt and gravel pits a good way to get some work?

dozerman400

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Yes, 2 full time jobs are doable, IF your not working a gazillion hours and like you said one boss is lenient on show up time. I have found the things you really want, do not always come easy.

grizzlycan2011

Well I work 50-60 hours a week at my current job, you still think it's doable? The guy with the dirt business wants me to work 6am-6pm. I mean I guess I could start my day at 3am, knock out 3 hours of work, go work for him until 6pm, then go finish my day, I'm not sure.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Well I work 50-60 hours a week at my current job, you still think it's doable? The guy with the dirt business wants me to work 6am-6pm. I mean I guess I could start my day at 3am, knock out 3 hours of work, go work for him until 6pm, then go finish my day, I'm not sure.

Sounds to me like a real chance of being to tired to do either job and end up with none. Not sure you can meet DOT regs doing that. Be careful.

dozerman400

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Well there is 168 hrs in a week.

Seriously, sounds like you'd be working at least 110 hrs a week. With building a house, something would have to give. With a dirt job there's day's you have to work longer hrs to beat the rain, this could make you real late to 2nd job. I think I would keep oilfield job until house is done or least bank is satisfied. Maybe you can fill in part time at dirt job when they need extra help, see if you like it there and when house stuff is done, change jobs then.

:my2c

grizzlycan2011

Well there is 168 hrs in a week.

Seriously, sounds like you'd be working at least 110 hrs a week. With building a house, something would have to give. With a dirt job there's day's you have to work longer hrs to beat the rain, this could make you real late to 2nd job. I think I would keep oilfield job until house is done or least bank is satisfied. Maybe you can fill in part time at dirt job when they need extra help, see if you like it there and when house stuff is done, change jobs then.

:my2c
Well I'm hoping to get raise where I'm at soon cause one of the service techs I work said the big boss was wanting to know how I'm working half of what the passed driver (who is a service tech now) was and getting more work accomplished. Honestly I'm not sure how he still has a job cause this guy was getting 120 hours a week.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Well I'm hoping to get raise where I'm at soon cause one of the service techs I work said the big boss was wanting to know how I'm working half of what the passed driver (who is a service tech now) was and getting more work accomplished. Honestly I'm not sure how he still has a job cause this guy was getting 120 hours a week.
I hope you get that raise. Just don't work so much that you forget to live. Believe me, it does not take long to go from the youngest guy on the project to the oldest one. Life is short. Good luck.

grizzlycan2011

Well I think I may have found what I'm looking for just trying to figure out if I should. Starting pay is $13 an hour and 70 hours a week, so right at $1100 a week. Even though it's a $1 less than what I make now, I'd still make about $1000 more a month. I'll be driving either a regular dump truck or a belly dump, he said he's not sure yet. It comes with w2 so I won't have to do a 1099 and it has health insurance. It will also give me the experience and possible contacts id need to start my own gig one day. I'm looking for cons but all I can really think is that it's $13 an hour instead of $14.

grizzlycan2011

Man, I'm very thankful for a still small voice from God that said something ain't right with this. Turns out that company that wanted to hire me, you know the heavy equipment operator that is well known all over the country, apparently there is no dirt work involved it was strictly a metal warehouse driving a dump truck 60% of the time and warehouse work 40% of the time. What a total and complete lie that guy told me. That guy almost had me thinking we were gonna tackle dirt work from air, land, and sea. What a load of crap.