• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need help finding engine rebuild kit for D6C 3306

Mike Knight

Hello all, I am needing some help trying to find a engine overhaul kit for our Cat D6C dozer. I have contacted the Cat dealership to get a platinum overhaul kit but found out that they no longer offer them for this specific engine arrangement. I'm kind of hoping that maybe someone has one stashed away (wishful thinking, I know). It is a late 1960's dozer not sure of the exact year. Serial number is 10K9870. Engine model 3306 serial #3N17402 and the arrangement # 2P6795. I have not had much luck finding a complete kit on the internet. Would someone possibly know if another engine kit would fit from a different piece of equipment? Cat offers platinum kits still for newer equipment. I found one kit for a D6H dozer part# 20R-1482. Would it possibly be compatible? Thank you in advance!

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I’ve always pieced them out. I doubt there was ever a “kit” available for that engine. Most dealers have a “standard jobs” list of every part commonly ordered for such a job. You could ask the service dept. The wild card will be the crank. But, your mileage will vary.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
From what I can see, the best you're going to get are gasket/seal kits, there's plenty of them.

The problem with the 20R-1482 Platinum kit is that it's not listed as compatible with your machine s/n. The time an effort you go to trying to figure out why would be better spent piecing the parts out as suggested above.

Mike Knight

I’ve always pieced them out. I doubt there was ever a “kit” available for that engine. Most dealers have a “standard jobs” list of every part commonly ordered for such a job. You could ask the service dept. The wild card will be the crank. But, your mileage will vary.
Thank you for the info Coaldust, I could have swore that I had found a kit that was compatible with that engine but that has been a few years ago when we knew we were going to need to overhaul it. I very well could have been mistaken at that time. We'll give cat a call back and hopefully they will have a common parts list.

Mike Knight

From what I can see, the best you're going to get are gasket/seal kits, there's plenty of them.

The problem with the 20R-1482 Platinum kit is that it's not listed as compatible with your machine s/n. The time an effort you go to trying to figure out why would be better spent piecing the parts out as suggested above.
I have a pretty good feeling you are right, thanks Chrisso

Check Break

Hello all, I am needing some help trying to find a engine overhaul kit for our Cat D6C dozer. I have contacted the Cat dealership to get a platinum overhaul kit but found out that they no longer offer them for this specific engine arrangement. I'm kind of hoping that maybe someone has one stashed away (wishful thinking, I know). It is a late 1960's dozer not sure of the exact year. Serial number is 10K9870. Engine model 3306 serial #3N17402 and the arrangement # 2P6795. I have not had much luck finding a complete kit on the internet. Would someone possibly know if another engine kit would fit from a different piece of equipment? Cat offers platinum kits still for newer equipment. I found one kit for a D6H dozer part# 20R-1482. Would it possibly be compatible? Thank you in advance!

Give IPD a call. They offer a lot of what you need for a 3306. https://www.ipdparts.com/download/ipd-parts-for-caterpillar-3304-3306-engines-english?wpdmdl=806

Welder Dave

IPD is high quality parts. They make 3 ring pistons for 3200 series engines that Cat doesn't offer. They are an improvement over Cat 2 ring pistons. The shop that did my engine uses a lot of IPD parts in their rebuilds.

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
https://www.reliancepowerparts.com
They list many parts for many machines/engines The 3306 being just one. I can't vouch for their Cat replacement parts but I rebuilt my Mack E6 several years ago with their parts and it's still going strong today.

My bad, I have too many different brands of diesels...lol, PAI was where I got my Mack engine parts...But Reliance does list CAT engine parts, maybe they can help you.

Last edited: