• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

NEED HELP removing the drum rope wedge

Jswick

Okay any advice will be greatly appriciated. Had my main hoist line break today and I cant get the wedge out to release the remaining cable. I drove a bar down thru the opposite end to force the wedge out but the bar wasnt long enough and is now stuck. Any tricks of the trade that I can do to get this problem.solved?

crane operator

Beat the bar you have stuck from side to side, hit it with the hammer etc, get it out and get a long punch or heavy flat bar and beat it down through there. They can be stuck pretty tight. You're on the right track though.

If your stuck bar is really really stuck, weld a piece of steel to it. then hit that piece to get it driven out. I use a long punch mostly to drive out the wedges.

Jswick

Thank you. I'll try this monday and let u know how it goes.
Beat the bar you have stuck from side to side, hit it with the hammer etc, get it out and get a long punch or heavy flat bar and beat it down through there. They can be stuck pretty tight. You're on the right track though.

If your stuck bar is really really stuck, weld a piece of steel to it. then hit that piece to get it driven out. I use a long punch mostly to drive out the wedges.

hosspuller

For stuck metal stuff I love me some Kroil (penetrating oil) Used to break lot'sa stuff until I got wise. Don't see why some Kroil wouldn't help with removing a wedge.