• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need help with a 1984 Clark 75B Cummings V-504-C

rodbaron

Hello all! This is my very first post here. Last year I purchased a used loader to do some heavy work on our land. I've owned a few skid steers, farm tractors and we have a decent sized excavator. I wouldn't say I'm a pro by any means. Especially when it comes to knowledge of these machines. I'm a peripheral parts changer and a mediocre operator.

With that said...Wow! This machine is a screaming beast! It also needs my help after serving well over the last year.

Here's what I need to do to get it going again. Any help on locating parts and hacks to repair is greatly appreciated:

1) The left hydro ram that raises the bucket (or forks) leaks like crazy (2-5gal per day based on usage) and I need to find a seal kit for it.

2) Need ring seal around tire beads x 2. Ours are rusted and pitted and tires leak down quickly. We spend 45min airing up tires each use if a week between use.

3) Throttle pedal sticks like crazy. This has not ended well when moving in tight spaces. We've mowed down a few fences when someone new to the game has hopped in it. We don't tell them on purpose. Haha!

4) Where exactly are the stamped serial numbers on the front and rear of frame? This would save me alot of trouble. The badges on the side are almost completely worn.

On the engine info I can read it has a manufacture date of 10/84, V-504-C, engine number 20239471, So. No. D 7878, Engine Cert ID: C.I.D.504, Family: None, CPI: 5023

On the badge thats almost completely worn I can read 75B for sure. To the right of that all I can make out is 3D23...maybe a zero after that.

I can post pics of the badge if anyone wants to take a crack at it. I will also post pics of the loader as they are on my mobile and I am currently on a laptop.

Thanks in advance!

R

STEFANO

Hi Rodbaron,

for MICHIGAN 75B, Air Brake Valve is BENDIX E2 or E3.

See Photo.

Regards

Attachments

• Bendix E-2 E-3.pdf
    297.3 KB · Views: 9

rodbaron

Hi Rodbaron,

for MICHIGAN 75B, Air Brake Valve is BENDIX E2 or E3.

See Photo.

Regards
Stefano. Thank you! This will help troubleshooth the throttle sticking. I had no idea that the throttle and air brake system were so closely tied nor have I looked into it until now.

Whats your history with these older loaders?

R

STEFANO

Stefano. Thank you! This will help troubleshooth the throttle sticking. I had no idea that the throttle and air brake system were so closely tied nor have I looked into it until now.

Whats your history with these older loaders?

R
I am ex Dealer Italy, for MICHIGAN Loader .

Have you Mail Andress ?? I have Part Manual for your MICHIGAN 75B.

Regards

rodbaron

I am ex Dealer Italy, for MICHIGAN Loader .

Have you Mail Andress ?? I have Part Manual for your MICHIGAN 75B.

Regards
Thanks Stefano! I am in the Unites States. Maybe it would be easier for me to get one of those stateside? I do not want you to have to pay to ship something internationally!

R

rodbaron

Hello all! This is my very first post here. Last year I purchased a used loader to do some heavy work on our land. I've owned a few skid steers, farm tractors and we have a decent sized excavator. I wouldn't say I'm a pro by any means. Especially when it comes to knowledge of these machines. I'm a peripheral parts changer and a mediocre operator.

With that said...Wow! This machine is a screaming beast! It also needs my help after serving well over the last year.

Here's what I need to do to get it going again. Any help on locating parts and hacks to repair is greatly appreciated:

1) The left hydro ram that raises the bucket (or forks) leaks like crazy (2-5gal per day based on usage) and I need to find a seal kit for it.

2) Need ring seal around tire beads x 2. Ours are rusted and pitted and tires leak down quickly. We spend 45min airing up tires each use if a week between use.

3) Throttle pedal sticks like crazy. This has not ended well when moving in tight spaces. We've mowed down a few fences when someone new to the game has hopped in it. We don't tell them on purpose. Haha!

4) Where exactly are the stamped serial numbers on the front and rear of frame? This would save me alot of trouble. The badges on the side are almost completely worn.

On the engine info I can read it has a manufacture date of 10/84, V-504-C, engine number 20239471, So. No. D 7878, Engine Cert ID: C.I.D.504, Family: None, CPI: 5023

On the badge thats almost completely worn I can read 75B for sure. To the right of that all I can make out is 3D23...maybe a zero after that.

I can post pics of the badge if anyone wants to take a crack at it. I will also post pics of the loader as they are on my mobile and I am currently on a laptop.

Thanks in advance!

R
Here are some pics of the 75B that I purchased. The info badge pics were too large file size so ill revisit those asap. Clark 75B Loader1 (2).jpgClark 75B Loader1.jpgClark 75B Loader2.jpgClark 75B Loader3.jpg

STEFANO

Grazie Stefano! Sono negli Stati Uniti. Forse sarebbe più facile per me ottenere uno di quegli stati? Non voglio che tu debba pagare per spedire qualcosa a livello internazionale!

R
Ciao Rodbaron,
my Mail andress, is tcmricambi@gmail.com .

Ho il formato PDF, MICHIGAN 75B Part Manual.

Inviami la tua posta Andress.

Regards

excavator

A Clark 75B is old enough that many who were familiar with them are no longer around and those still around have forgotten alot of what they knew. I will respond on your other post so that we don't end up having 2 posts going.

excavator

As far as your leaking ram goes, the best bet would be to take it off and bring it to a hydraulic shop and have them reseal it. If you think you want to try and reseal it your self, get it off and take it apart, bring the seals to the hydraulic shop and have them match them up. A tire shop that deals with trucks, farm tractors and larger equipment should be able to get you new O-rings. It looks like you have the info to at least begin to fix the throttle issue, as far as where to find numbers stamped, I have no clue. IF I get some time to go out and dig through 17 different 20 gallon totes of old manuals I might have one that gives the info needed.

rodbaron

A Clark 75B is old enough that many who were familiar with them are no longer around and those still around have forgotten alot of what they knew. I will respond on your other post so that we don't end up having 2 posts going.
Thanks. I appreciate your post and will look on my original thread under the wheel loader section. These are the largest machines I've ever worked with and on so I'm both amazed and intimidated but also excited. Lots of power!

rodbaron

Sometimes it can take a little while to get a response because no one is real familiar with the machine you have. I think Minn Parr may have some parts and maybe manuals for Clark Michigan loaders.
Thanks. I did contact MinnPar before I wrote my first post on this forum so its been about a month now I'm guessing. Their site doesn't offer a phone number so I simply emailed an inquiry on their "contact" page. You just reminded me to send another one which i did just now so hopefully I'll get a response. Does anyone have a phone number or email for their parts department?

rodbaron

I see nothing odd about Stefano's offer of a part manual. Look at his history he has sent several manuals in his 20 posts.
OK. I appreciate you looking out. I will send Stefano an email and thank him for being generous. I'm not used to someone these hanging their gmail address and offering something so freely without some sort of drawback so I had to be more sure.

rodbaron

As far as your leaking ram goes, the best bet would be to take it off and bring it to a hydraulic shop and have them reseal it. If you think you want to try and reseal it your self, get it off and take it apart, bring the seals to the hydraulic shop and have them match them up. A tire shop that deals with trucks, farm tractors and larger equipment should be able to get you new O-rings. It looks like you have the info to at least begin to fix the throttle issue, as far as where to find numbers stamped, I have no clue. IF I get some time to go out and dig through 17 different 20 gallon totes of old manuals I might have one that gives the info needed.
Thats alot of manuals! You must have a head full on these rigs! Our next step was exactly what you suggest. We have a hydro shop about an hour from here. On the ring...I'll try and get a size on it so I dont have to pay to break the tire bead off again just to get measurements. We had a used 50% tread tire installed so I can still use the machine after half an hour of air going in. HAHA!

Acecadet

Does your loader have 25” rim tires? If so, I believe all you need is a new o ring. These are also available from anyplace that services or sell large equipment tires. The cylinder packing may end up being a bit more involved. While Minn Par may be able to get you a part number or even a kit, the price may be very prohibitive. I am a big fan of just pulling the cylinder apart and measuring individual seals, backers, o rings, wipers and wear sleeves. I usually purchase all of my seals from a place called Baum hydraulics. They have downloadable catalogs on their website that really help sizing things up. The staff is really helpful too if you run into trouble. As for the throttle linkage, I’m guessing a bit of lube and a bigger return spring will get you going in the right direction.

rodbaron

Does your loader have 25” rim tires? If so, I believe all you need is a new o ring. These are also available from anyplace that services or sell large equipment tires. The cylinder packing may end up being a bit more involved. While Minn Par may be able to get you a part number or even a kit, the price may be very prohibitive. I am a big fan of just pulling the cylinder apart and measuring individual seals, backers, o rings, wipers and wear sleeves. I usually purchase all of my seals from a place called Baum hydraulics. They have downloadable catalogs on their website that really help sizing things up. The staff is really helpful too if you run into trouble. As for the throttle linkage, I’m guessing a bit of lube and a bigger return spring will get you going in the right direction.
This is very helpful and simple info. Thanks much! I thought same to try first on throttle linkages and moving parts. We were working in a ton of dust so it hopefully just got dry and sticky/binding up. I checked out Baum...lots there! My tire guy is mobile and says he only does tires. I get that. I'll hunt down a large equipment tire dealer in my region and see if I can turn up anything and will measure the rim and look at tire size again then circle back. 25" sounds about right. Thanks again!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
One thing to keep in mind about your lack of replies.

That machine is moments away from being 40 years old and while not all that of an oddball still compared to say a Cat 966 loader a bit on the rare side.

Also say if was just getting into the field of heavy equipment at say 25 years of age when that machine was new that person is probably retired. An frankly many of those of that age group are not all big on Internet forums. Then again some of us here started pulling wrenches back in the early 1970's when even having a fax machine in the shop office was considered the cutting edge of technology!

Like others have suggested the o'ring for the rim seal would be something any good heavy equipment tire shop would have and if you are planning on using this machine for any amount of time you should get to know who does that kind of repair in your area.

Same thing for the leaking hydraulic cylinder. I'm sure there are many hydraulic shops in your area. Just did a Google search and found these places near Richmond:

While I'm at it you could try contacting this guy
jdwhipple2012@hotmail.com
He is located or last I knew was in the Richmond area and might be able to give you some places to try.

rodbaron

One thing to keep in mind about your lack of replies.

That machine is moments away from being 40 years old and while not all that of an oddball still compared to say a Cat 966 loader a bit on the rare side.

Also say if was just getting into the field of heavy equipment at say 25 years of age when that machine was new that person is probably retired. An frankly many of those of that age group are not all big on Internet forums. Then again some of us here started pulling wrenches back in the early 1970's when even having a fax machine in the shop office was considered the cutting edge of technology!

Like others have suggested the o'ring for the rim seal would be something any good heavy equipment tire shop would have and if you are planning on using this machine for any amount of time you should get to know who does that kind of repair in your area.

Same thing for the leaking hydraulic cylinder. I'm sure there are many hydraulic shops in your area. Just did a Google search and found these places near Richmond:

While I'm at it you could try contacting this guy
jdwhipple2012@hotmail.com
He is located or last I knew was in the Richmond area and might be able to give you some places to try.
Thanks for this info. I will contact the guy in Richmond and see what he has to say. I do drive over that way at times. Its 4hrs but about once per quarter we're out that way. Theres a mobile guy locally and boy is he busy! I'm guessing he stays about 2mo out on services and is mainly putting out fires for farmers, haulers and local government.

It makes total sense when you explain the lack of response with the age of the machine. I'm old enough to remember shaking the drum of black powder ink for the Xerox machine and thinking that and correction paper for the typewriter was high tech and WOW...a fax machine! What a concept! I miss those simpler times when I see my kids struggling in a world that seems too busy and then some!

For the thread overall heres an update:

1) Were going to take the hydraulic ram off in the next few weeks and take it and/or the seals to a shop.

2) I contacted Stefano and apologized for my assumptions and he promptly sent me the manual via PDF. Its only 708 pages so I'm sure I'll have that all read and memorized by Sunday!

3) Plenty of footwork to do from here on to get one or more O-rings to seal my leaky rims

4) I'll be spraying down and lubing up the sticky throttle pedal this weekend when it is a little warmer outside.

All for now! Thanks everyone and I will circle back once I've done my homework.