• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need help with hydraulic pump setup

rodbuilder1947

I'm building 2 single axle dump trucks to sell. One is already sold and we almost have it done, but we're having a problem with the pump.

NOTE: the pump we're using is a Johnson, which was made in Peoria, Illinois at some date?

- This pump has TWO input shafts, so you can put it on either side of the truck. It is also shaft-driven.

- So with that in mind, also note that, from the BACK of the truck, the PTO rotates COUNTER clockwise.

- As for the pump we have ran it off of both shafts, cw and ccw, with no success.

- On my way home I got a call from my buddy, telling me thyat when he unscfrewed the hydraulic filter a lot of air came out of it!!!

- the reservoir is ABOVE the frame and goes up, into the cylinder tower, inside the box.

There is NO chance of air getting into the system other than maybe running the pump backwards. I plumbed the inlet-/return line so that the filter is up, in between the frame and the filter and a, 1 1/4 inch ball valve is there too.

- We put 15 gallons of oil in the tank to try it out.

Questions:
I have bought and sols a LOT of skid loaders and have had no problems when we re-sealed a boom cylinder or bucket tilt cylinder, so why does this thing have air in the system? Everything is higher than the pump!!

AS YOU'RE LOOKING FROM THE REAR OF THE TRUCK, the PTO is on the RIGHT side and is rotating COUNTER-clockwise.

A diagram with your answer would be nice!

When it comes down to the problem, I guess I'm asking why would I have to bleed a such a system, and how do i do it? I would think that any air in thiis system would migrate to the top of the tank?

On a skid loader you don't have to bleed anything, because the system bleeds itself, after you move all the levers a few times.

HELP!!!

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Is the pump deadheaded into a quick coupler? Is there a dumpbox with 50 gallon multistage mast cylinder in it. Did you verify your pump is flooded with oil prior to running it. Is the A/B valve integrated into the pump body (very common in dump trucks) ?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
CH101120.jpg
Is this the type of pump you are working with? Have you any information on the pump other than Johnson of Peoria? What GPM@ what RPM. Is your PTO matched? Is the shaft turning when a load is applied What is the volume of your cylinder vs the volume of your reservoir?
Do you follow up on questions?