• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need lighter dump bed for a Chevy 3500

Kn1ghtWolf

Running a 2018 crew cab chevy 3500 daully, its a chasis cab model so it has increased bed length and stickered for a slightly higher gvwr with a 11ft steel dump bed with folding sides and a venco hoist, thing is a monster. It weighs way too much for this truck and takes away axle weight for trailering. I don't feel it and the truck doesn't either but I want to make sure I stay safe and I want to take the cdl test using it.
I have been exploring my options and thinking about a switchngo/drop box type system with an aluminum dump with folding sides that I can leave home when I want to save fuel or maybe pick up a goose neck. I don't know what the weight difference on something like that is compared to what I have now, it just seems like the logical choice.
I could also go with a fixed aluminum dump bed but I think even with that I can't technically get my desired rear axle weight with a 20k trailer. And before anyone suggests just ditching the dump bed all together and using a dump trailer I will say that having this thing has been a blessing for getting work done and not having to trailer my junk around, just can't accept a world without it now.