• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Need year of a 931b track loader

Long John

I have a serial number 25Y0801 and arraignment number of 5G0500. Can anyone help me find year it was built and any other info?

Long John

Serial Number appears to be incomplete. There should be five digits after the 25Y, you only have four. Some of the older machines zeros tended to get missed off the plate. Post a photo, that might help.

Maybe a weird question but why do you need the year it was built.?

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Long John, your 931B with a serial number of 25Y0801 was built in 1980. I own 931B 25Y1213, and it too was built in 1980. 1980 production numbers were 25Y0754 to 25Y1268.

25Y is the tractor type prefix, and 0801 is the consecutive build number. The 931B was produced in a substantial variety of prefix numbers - typically, 25Y, 26Y, 29Y, 30Y, 4SC, 6EC.

Each prefix shows a model that varies according to how the tractor was built. Some have backhoes fitted, some have 3F/3R transmissions, some have Low Ground Pressure tracks.

Engine is the 3204, which uses many of the the same internal components as the Cat 3208 V8. It is rated at 65HP at 2400RPM.
Your tractor has dry steering clutches and brakes, and it could be fitted with either a G.P. bucket or a 4-in-1 (Drott) bucket.

All 931's, D3's and 910 wheel loaders were built in Japan, in a Mitsubishi factory, in a joint venture with Caterpillar. You will find the Mitsubishi "3 diamonds" symbol and "Mitsubishi" cast into many components.
The 931, D3 and 910 share 80% component commonality.

Your transmission should be a 3F/1R powershift transmission, and the transmission serial number should have a "1" in front of the number - i.e. - 1FA00830.
When you go to a Cat dealer to acquire parts or filters for your tractor, their system only recognises 5 digit serial numbers, so you have to give them the serial number as "25Y00801".

You also need the arrangement number to ensure you obtain correct parts.
The arrangement number shows what parts were used in the construction of the tractor, engine and transmission, and takes into account engineering design changes, which were always ongoing.

Nige - I think you'll find Cat didn't go over to 5 digit serial numbers until around the mid-1980's.

Full computerisation was what demanded a 5 digit serial number, and Cat were still using microfiche in the early 1990's, although full computerisation was being introduced some years earlier.

Attachments

• 931B-3.jpg
    931B-3.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 7

Welder Dave

I don't think models with factory backhoe attachments used a special prefix. Not sure about the 4SC or 6EC. They may be standard and wide gauge but 25Y and 26Y are 3F/1R standard gauge and wide gauge respectively. 29Y and 30Y are 3F/3R standard gauge and wide gauge. Machines could be ordered with optional wet brakes but there was no special prefix. It was just an option. Another member on the forum has a 29Y with wet brakes and I've seen 29Y with dry brakes. I have 25Y1916, 1986. It has some improvements like longer lift arms for increased dump height and some minor engine improvements.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Glad I could be of some assistance. The trans. is about the only thing I haven't had to fix so have some hands on experience $$$ with them.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Nige - I think you'll find Cat didn't go over to 5 digit serial numbers until around the mid-1980's.
Sorry, maybe I should not have been so cryptic with my initial question.

Back in those days it was unusual for any zeros to be included at all on a Serial Number plate, even in the prefix. Based on that 25Y0801 would likely have been stamped "25Y801" on the machine Serial Number plate. Seeing the zero in the OP made me question as to whether it might just have been something else, hence my request for a photo of the S/N plate just to confirm that everyone was talking about the right machine.

To the OP. What "other information" were you looking for.? Manuals maybe.? Anything else.?