• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

needhelp trying to buy a bulldozer d5-d6 size maybe up to a 7

bigrich954rr

ok quick run down ive been trying to do everything but buy a old bulldozer . i got a mini brand new but small tractor/skidsteer old tri axle and a case 680e backhoe that ive been working like crazy.

all from the help of you guys and a few other nice people helping me.

i know very little about bulldozers and only used a 2014 d6 a little. im have bunch of work that needs one most likely im going to have to buy a old one would like it to have a winch on the back. need any help or info i can get planning now and looking to buy in a few months to a year hoping for a deal.

Uses building ramps push up berms and cutting out other berms. all very rocky and looses river rock that wheels spin in. some grading but not till i get more money not taking on though jobs yet.

other idea buy a JD333 or cat 299 skid steer and just slowly get it down but can use it for other things plan on buying one in about a year anyway

CAT583H

Hello bigrich954rr, I would suggest if you anticipate doing much work in rock you might consider rippers on that dozer instead of a winch unless you really need a winch. I have winches on both my tractors because I NEED them for the work I do but there are many times I get into rock (usually building a road) that not having rippers gets to be a real pain in the butt. Winches are one of those tools that if you need them you NEED them but in my opinion rippers are really a lot more useful on a more regular basis.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
A caution is in the offing as to Not having dealt with these large machines on your own is they can eat a owner alive that has no concept what the slight changes in noises, vibrations or operating responses will mean as to getting repairs done in time or right then. Best bet if you have not the equipment to haul, maintain and experience to diagnose lease one for the job that you are comfortable with in using or hire that work out to a excavator that is used to and has expertise in as well already the equipment to handle.

Is a horror story in here on a D6 a fella bought spent a year PLUS getting it right enough to finally use. LARGE chuck of change to get it there.
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/d6c-cat-loss-of-oil-pressure.63891/page-61#post-753578

Last edited:

Pete1468

My first dozer was an old d7E military cat. I liked it, ran it 2 years and then got a d7R. I like it alot better. First thing is make sure you have a big enough trailer to haul it. The old one weighed 52500 and the R weighs 57200. I would suggest a nice 6 size machine. The 5s around here are all finish dozers.

td25c

i know very little about bulldozers and only used a 2014 d6 a little. im have bunch of work that needs one most likely im going to have to buy a old one would like it to have a winch on the back.

Your best bet might be to hire some knucklehead in the area that runs an old dozer & excavator for the that part of the job .

Use them for the rough work then finish up with your equipment .

And pick up a bucket of Hamm's beer and a case of hydraulic oil while your in town . LOL :D

Last edited: