• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Cat excavator

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
Wow thats kind of an ugly looking machine. But progress means something I guess. Lookin at the cab, kinda looks like inside it is pretty similar to the current D series cab. Wanna bet the radio is still in the back of the cab up high....wow thanks Cat,:beatsme

I also see they left the right side mirror in the same place as the C series which means you can't see it...ever.

What I do see are B series door handles in the cab for the front window. Hello... they got something right again. Although I think they did it with the D as well. The doors in the C's like to fall down a lot. B series front windows were great.

sultan

I agree that the Tier 4 emissions stuff is pretty stupid. Expecting engines to clean the environment is ridiculous.

When you look at the big picture, I don't think it really helps the environment either. Making all that pollution gear requires energy and produces pollution. Replacing the machines more often requires a lot of energy and produces a lot of pollution. Making all the consumables for the pollution gear such as the extra filters and that 'AdBlue' stuff [that new tier 4 non-cat engines use] uses lots of energy and produces pollution.

Plus all this gear is a pain in the but for reliability and for people like farmers who don't work their equipment full time and keep it for 30+ years. I pity those farmers in California who'll be forced to replace all their diesel equipment pretty much every five years. I've got tractors from the 60s and 70s that work great, and they don't smoke or do anything like that either. They barely do 200 hours an year. I'll be real mad if the CARB buggers come north of the border and tell me I can't use them. They aren't really doing the environment much good either.

EquipmentEditor

Tier 4 Strategy

It is a 336E. We saw one yesterday at Edwards on its way for field follow. They have not finalized the design, but they will keep all the aftertreatment inside the envelope on all of the machines, from skid steers to artic trucks.
The one I saw was 12 inches higher in back, and the canopy looked to be a bit larger, too.
No word on the official roll out, but all 300+ machines will be introduced with Tier 4 over the next three years.

http://www.constructionequipment.com/article/CA6718846.html

Reuben

:beatsmeActually, I think all the 300 series machines are ugly. They are so simillar regardless of the respective brands. For my money, the old 200 series machines were the pinnacle of what a hoe should look like. It seems in our times now we have to make them so a broad would even feel comfortable in it.

Actually its about time they made them that way.Why shouldnt they look good be extremely comfortable quiet etc. Most operators spend more time in the cab then they do snuggled up next to their "honey" in bed. Heated seats....about time..bring on the standard sirius radio,chilled seats, etc....why should operators be in total comfort. A happy comfortable operator is a productive SAFE operator.

alco

Heated seats....about time..bring on the standard sirius radio,chilled seats, etc....

My hoe has a heated, air conditioned, massaging seat and a satellite radio....life is good, and it's no Cat.

sultan

My hoe has a heated, air conditioned, massaging seat and a satellite radio....life is good, and it's no Cat.

Why not get a 5xxx Cat instead so you won't even have to do any work while you wait for the mechanics in cat comfort. Cats always win ;)

The midsize cats are my favourite machines. I dunno about the bigger ones though....

Reuben

oh ya same hear heated seats ith the machine but the sirius I had to install...the sirius should come standard like some trucks do though

alco

Why not get a 5xxx Cat instead so you won't even have to do any work while you wait for the mechanics in cat comfort. Cats always win ;)

The midsize cats are my favourite machines. I dunno about the bigger ones though....

I dunno why I would downgrade to a Cat, especially a 5000 series. My cab is just as big and every bit as comfortable. Anything beats a Cat!

mg140h

I would think that most would agree it looks alot better then a #2 shovel :cool2

dynahoescott

I agree that the Tier 4 emissions stuff is pretty stupid. Expecting engines to clean the environment is ridiculous.

When you look at the big picture, I don't think it really helps the environment either. Making all that pollution gear requires energy and produces pollution. Replacing the machines more often requires a lot of energy and produces a lot of pollution. Making all the consumables for the pollution gear such as the extra filters and that 'AdBlue' stuff [that new tier 4 non-cat engines use] uses lots of energy and produces pollution.

Plus all this gear is a pain in the but for reliability and for people like farmers who don't work their equipment full time and keep it for 30+ years. I pity those farmers in California who'll be forced to replace all their diesel equipment pretty much every five years. I've got tractors from the 60s and 70s that work great, and they don't smoke or do anything like that either. They barely do 200 hours an year. I'll be real mad if the CARB buggers come north of the border and tell me I can't use them. They aren't really doing the environment much good either.

What I meant when I said built for a broad was they take useful stuff off and put impractical items on. Why take the catwaks off, that is something I wont ever understand, on zero swing machines ok but as for coventional? And modes for operating parameters, total waste of money. Why do you think they dont really offer any without computerization? given the choice nobody would purchase one. Anything I can do today with a 325 cat I can do with a 225d lc from the early nineties, just as fast. :Banghead

Ozz

:beatsmeActually, I think all the 300 series machines are ugly. They are so simillar regardless of the respective brands. For my money, the old 200 series machines were the pinnacle of what a hoe should look like. It seems in our times now we have to make them so a broad would even feel comfortable in it.

Yup. The 200 series were plain looking. I like that. And the 200 series last longer than the new stuff. I alway liked the look of the 70s/80s stuff over tha new stuff. Oh well the 300s will have too work.