• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New equipment engines

cat320

Charter Member
All the new truck diesel engines require that new def fluid now is that true for the new equipment engines also?
And after seeing some of the info on the def fluid it has a time life so if that is the case how will that effect machines that may site around for months before being used or if times are slow and some machines are just put to the side untill they get busy again? will that require draining all that expensive fluid out and refilling it?

VoodooMojo

Occupation
Sr Technical Service Representative
We have been dreading the day when this becomes the norm.
Some of this equipment does lay dormant for long periods of time.
No supplier has given us a definitive answer to your question.

They do say DEF shelf life is over a year if the temperature remains above 10 degrees and below 95 degrees F.
Two years if it remains below 75 degrees F.

Not much of a temperature range.

Here is some info on the system.
http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/MB10033.pdf

Beachbum0286

We have a couple interim tier 4 cat dozers and they do not require DEF. They just regen the exhaust filter. On one of the D8's had the regen sensor and igniter go bad, cat was right out to fix it.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Not all off road diesels built today require DEF but I believe all will after January 1, 2014. I'm thinking that there have been plenty of sales of Tier 1 and up engines to allow the engine issues to sort themselves out. From what little I have seen lately, most of the manufacturers have had experience with the trucking side and the off road should not be near the hassle. Most I've heard about for trucks has to do with utility rigs doing lots of idling. I've heard a couple of horror stories about that and I would think something like that could happen with certain types of machines in some applications.

The issue I'm wondering about is what will be allowed for the non tier engines after Tier 4 Final begins. Are we going to be allowed to continue to run them until it is not possible to economically repair them anymore?

I'd be interested in any of the issues good or bad.