• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New excavator prices

big sig

Looking to purchase either a new Volvo 220d or cat 320e. I'm pricing them with 42" buckets and hydraulic thumbs. Wanting to see what yall are seeing for new machine prices. I was priced 174,000 for the Volvo and 195,000 for the cat. Do those seem in line or too high?

Also on a cat d5k xl they told me 125,000 and a d6k 164,000.

Thanks

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
That looks like a good price for the Cat. I priced a 320EL with two buckets and manual thumb over a year ago and it was $198K. My salesman told me a Cat hyd. thumb was $12K.

Shimmy1

Ah, wish I lived where you live. Butler wanted 225 last fall for an E, no thumb. Paid $190,000 for my Case with hyd. coupler. 195 sounds like a hell of a deal. Almost might have bought a Cat for that. :jawdrop

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
would you consider case . I have had good luck with them. not had much luck with volvo excavators or support on them.

Shimmy1

would you consider case . I have had good luck with them. not had much luck with volvo excavators or support on them.

What Clintm said. I have a new 210C. Awesome machine. Fast, powerful, unbelievably cheap on fuel if you keep it in A mode. Hate the DPF but such is life. Did I mention 3 yr/3000 hr warranty including all fluids and filters?

clintm

Occupation
We do have a new Case dealer that is pretty aggressive .

Shimmy1

I believe so. I also believe they are a Sumitomo machine. Probably a question for Colorado Digger. He runs all Link Belt hoes. As to your other question, they are the same but different. For instance, CHN Ag fluids are Akcela, Case Construction fluids are Tutella.

Last edited:

Dickjr.

I had a Case CX250 rented , it keep going into what seemed limp mode. You could shut it down and restart it and it was great. The slew brake seemed weak , but that's a lot of iron to stop. It had Sumitomo written all over it. I liked it fine. My preference in rentals would be Komatsu in the excavator line even over Cat. If I were able to purchase a new machine like this I would look at a Case as well. Case , Komatsu , Cat and Deere. I have ran a Deere 160 and a 230 , they worked well. Personally I would have a hard time paying 20k more for a less than 200k machine because its a Cat. Tough decision , I wish you well.

Dickjr.

Big Sig , the dozer prices look cheap compared to even used prices , are they cab machines ? 125 for a 5KXL seems somewhat reasonable.

big sig

I was quoted 175 for a 316e with hydraulic thumb. Not sure how much Carolina cat will work with me. This is our first piece of construction equipment other than a couple skid steers and 304.5. I like the salesman at Volvo better but cat has a dealer 10 min away and Volvo is 45-60 min away. We're just using it for cleaning up farms, digging some ponds, setting culverts, and maybe doing a little grading work. I just want something I'm not always working on and that'll last me, and be easy for different operators to get on and not get lost in the electronics.

big sig

Dickjr those are cab dozers. I demoed a 160 Volvo last year and liked it but I don't want to buy it just because the price and then regret it.

Dickjr.

A fellow contractor bought a Volvo 240 with hammer about 8 years ago , it failed miserably , they sent out a new machine. It failed as well. He traded it for a 324D Cat , they still have it , its done a lot of hammer work. Still pretty solid with 3500 hrs on it. I'm a bird of a different color when it comes to shopping and spending money, I worry the hell out of them.

jprefect

Occupation
mainline hoe operator
we just demoed a Cat 336 vs Volvo. Nobody in the company was in pressed with the Volvo. It seemed to use a lot of fuel, week and very tipsy compared to the Cat. we ended up purchasing the Cat.

DIRTHAWK

Picking an excavator could depend on the kind of work you do.. Cat and Deere for production. Case/Link-Belt for smoothness and fuel economy. We recently switched from deere to link belt.. Saved $35,000 and fuel consumption is lower.. If you're mainly doing work by the hour than Link-Belt is a no brainer.

clintm

Occupation
Id consider case. Is the case machine still the same as a link belt? And is case construction part of case Ag?

case and link belt are the exact machines now except for the color. the engines used to be different but now they are the same. I bought a new CX350C in april got about 500 HRS on now no issues as of today it's about the 7th or 8th sumitomo machine I have owned