• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New from Volvo.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Any one here seen or heard anything about these machines? found it on the net, and did nt know they were making one!
SCRAPER VOLVO.jpg

T450D_SCRAPER.jpg

9420pullpan

when you have those pull type scrapers you need all of the weight on the front axle. on my old 9420 there was nearly 6000lbs in wheel weights and suitcase weights.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It looks like and artic truck front end with a custom rear. I'm thinking that puts a huge stress on the center bearing.

Why not just us an artic with a hookup and hydraulics to run that mess. Put some weight in the box and then have four driving wheels in the rear.

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Like pullpan said, when those pull type scrapers dig in, they really pull down on the drawbar and rear end of the tractor and lift the front up, so you want as much weight as possible in the front. As far as just hooking it to a tandem rear axled artic, that would be hard on the tires, you typically want to turn a loaded ADT as little as possible because of the strain it puts on the tires.

I personally wonder how good the view is of the front bowl on these Volvo's, there's a lot of tractor from the cab to that first bowl. :beatsme

Richardjw~

when you have those pull type scrapers you need all of the weight on the front axle. on my old 9420 there was nearly 6000lbs in wheel weights and suitcase weights.

yes, the ideal weight split for an artic seems to be about 65/35 in favour of the front

the only thing I would say is that the STX/JD artic set up were designed from the outset to pull.....whereas this machine 'appears' to be a dump truck with the butt took off (correct me if I'm wrong) which was designed for carrying.

Last edited:

Richardjw~

Like pullpan said, when those pull type scrapers dig in, they really pull down on the drawbar and rear end of the tractor and lift the front up, so you want as much weight as possible in the front.
in the instance of the STX you will find that actually the draw bar is attached to the from half making it even more efficient because it pulls down the whole machine - as well as sharing the load and not using the pivot joints to transmit all the draft

Look at some of the other brands out there pulling only from the back end (rear section) and they look like a tired old hound dragging his ass along the ground

Last edited:

hvy 1ton

Looks like volvo going after the bell scraper tractor market. The volvo has a noticeably longer wheel base than the bell tractors. I wonder what the pros/cons are besides the obvious. I didn't think it was a very big market, but i guess Volvo thinks otherwise.

hoeman600

Occupation
yellow thingy moverer
Volvo had this truck at con-expo in 05 so its nothing new . Im sure they tested the hell out of it. And if its anything like their trucks it will be a very good machine!

Attachments

• 302546272PvZfjj_ph.jpg
    302546272PvZfjj_ph.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,375
  • 302551894CSWKUr_ph.jpg
    302551894CSWKUr_ph.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,340
  • 302552018eXoFue_ph.jpg
    302552018eXoFue_ph.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,380

Richardjw~

when you put the human perspective in there it looks a whole lot bigger

maybe also going in to the cane haulage business???

Last edited:

Dualie

Might as well put a service body on the back to fix it when it breaks.

don't see this working very well for Volvo but thats my own opinion

hiballer627

We had a scraper pan hooked to a 30 ton Moxie ADT on a demo at our site last year. I didn't run it but it looked pretty lacking in the traction department, even with all diffs locked up. Worked good in the topsoil, but throw some wet dirt at it and it sat there spinning. Good speed on the haul road, but slow climbing the pile. Maybe a good unit for stripping jobs where its dry.