• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Holland 555c Backhoe pops out of 3rd gear?

cosmaar1

Approx 1991 NH 555c drives good - just pops out of 3rd gear when you let off throttle.
Any help appreciated.
Is it engaging all of the way to begin with? Any grinding noises?

Does it do it in 3rd gear reverse?

JNewton

it does seem to engage all the way, no grinding noises, and it acts the same forward and reverse. I put it in 3rd and it will be fine until I let off the throttle and then it will slip out of gear, if I hold the lever in gear it will not want to slip out and will act fine. Thanks for any help.

rumblecloud

Occupation
Living the dream...:]
I'm not an anywhere near an expert on this, but I found this in the
555E, 575E, 655E, 675E Repair Manual. Yours is a 555C so it may not apply .
gear jump out.JPG

I'm still learning...so apologize for lack of a more in depth response.
R

JNewton

I was thinking that may have something to do with the detents but I am not that familar with how the detents hold the shifter in. I went online and ordered a repair manual, hopefully that will show me. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

clueless2

You should be able to feel the in gear shift handle when the detents go into their notches.
Shift into other gears and determine if it feels different in 3R.