• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Holland LX, LS, and L series aftermarket cab and heat

Swannny

Installed a cab enclosure kit for a New Holland LS180 last week. Kit included the front door with side and upper filler pieces, and sliding side glass windows. Pretty nice fit and finish. Had to notch left side window frame around throttle base, and take care not tighten the side window bolts too tightly. Other than that, it was straight forward to install. Came from Pal-mar.com.

The most annoying part about these machines is finding a small enough heater to install in the tight cab that is out of the way. In the past I have gotten a small, rectangular shaped heater (heater core prob 4"x4") that fit nicely above your shoulder tucked tightly to the side window, but cannot find them any longer.

So, I grab the 6"x6" aftermarket heaters from the web for $140, and take the parts and install them in a custom built steel box that mounts on the rear lower window area. I line the box with foil backed insulation to keep the heat in. I take a 1.5" O.D. pipe and weld a 3/8 pipe nipple in at a 45 degree angle for the heater return line. Splice into the pressure line that runs to the oil cooler with the Y supplied with the heater.

Does a wonderful job on low fan. Rear window still leaves about 14" tall of opening that the operator can slide out of in an emergency. Rear lexan window is secured with super sticky windshield ribbon tape (available at your automotive parts store). Easy to break or push out. The entire window and frame on these units simply unbolt.

ls180.jpg
ls1800.jpg
ls18000.jpg
ls180000.jpg

Swannny

Galaxy muddy buddy tires came from them too. Super nice in mud and snow. Middle of tread is around 1 3/8" deep.

oilslick

not bad!, whats your throttle lever up so high for? What engine do these older nh machines have, anything to watch out for? I am always looking for a good used skid steer.

3X8

I just ordered one of these for a LX565, I'm going to mount it to the roof, it's 4" high. If it doesn't work out there, I'll do something different :D

s-l1600.jpg

Swannny

not bad!, whats your throttle lever up so high for? What engine do these older nh machines have, anything to watch out for? I am always looking for a good used skid steer.
That's the factory position for the throttle for that year. The ls180 have the three cylinders (iveco maybe???), and are full of vibrations compared to the ls160/170 and ls190 four cylinder. Typically you will see cracked motor mounts and mufflers. Have replaced mounts as early as 4 to 500 hrs.

They are a heavy lifting machine, but you'll prob like how the ls170 runs much better.

Swannny

I just ordered one of these for a LX565, I'm going to mount it to the roof, it's 4" high. If it doesn't work out there, I'll do something different :D

s-l1600.jpg

I found a couple low pro units but they were either too expensive or too low in btu's (4k range). What's the cost and btu ratings on that unit?

The unit I used was 16k btu.

3X8

I found a couple low pro units but they were either too expensive or too low in btu's (4k range). What's the cost and btu ratings on that unit?

The unit I used was 16k btu.

12K BTU's and I paid $70.00 shipped, it was on ebay under "under dash heaters" instead of "cab heaters". I just hope it doesn't fall apart after a year. lol

Swannny

12K BTU's and I paid $70.00 shipped, it was on ebay under "under dash heaters" instead of "cab heaters". I just hope it doesn't fall apart after a year. lol
Good to know. Not a bad price at all.

One of these days I will track down a 4"x5" heater core off ebay. Prob $25 or so. Combine it with one of those flat, compact, high-volume computer fans.

steve wherley

The best place to purchase skid steer heaters is skidsteerstuff.com. Check out the web site for prices, etc.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-25_11-58-47.png
    upload_2017-12-25_11-58-47.png
    647.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

DIYDAVE

Swanny, From what I read of it, it it uses the fan off the motor to blow hot air into the back window of the loader. Farm show magazine guys come up with the damdest innovations I've ever seen. Well worth what a subscription costs, IMHO...