• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Job, New Company, Long post!!!! Fair Warned

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
I would move to Alberta but I would miss the West Coast too much I may end up with mountain withdrawl being in a area that is flat as a table. If I still had relatives in Calgary I would prolly move there is no real future in B.C. the gov't keep saying there is but they don't know what in the hell they are talking about. Its all about the Olympics that is going to sink B.C. further into dept they will have to raise the taxes even more to pay for the billion dollars they will spend on the ***** olympics.

MVFD

I agree!

everythings is being planned around the olympics. What about after the olympics?

I hope it doesnt sink us.. But I figure if the economy drops in a few years I will go to alberta and run hoe for awhile. make some money, and move back here and take up fire fighting ( thats where my heart really is)

Sharkbait,

As for wages they very place to place and also is determined by the experience. Not very many people get a chance like I did to run a machine with zero time on one. Most will start on a hand operated excavator :yup

You can usually count on anywhere from 2 years, to as much as 8 years before the employer will think your ready to run a machine. the theory behind that is by being around the machines for a period of time you will understand the blind spots, saftey concerns and alot more about the job and the work involved with it. You also need to let them know your interested in running machines oneday and would like a chance in the future.

Try with a smaller company, and one that isnt in the union.

most places will start you at 18/hr with over 1000 hrs on a machine.
unfortunetly 3 weeks wont be enough to impress the company.

And remember when running a machine, Get good before you get fast.

I would put your resume in with a few different places and see what comes your way. do you know anyone with a hoe? if so why dont you talk to them about playing around on it for a while?

Good luck

Grader4me

plowking740 said:
Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

I moved here a year ago easter. within two days I had 5 interviews set up for the week. They didnt happen. My first interview was mor of a formality, we talked for a couple hours, I road around with the Super and then he said grab your boots. I want you to go to work. considering that he hadnt seen me operate (finishing grader, hoe, dozer and loader) he offer me a fair wage to start (23, I was used to 14 in Manitoba) This year I hav gotted a sizable raise, and a new machine as well.

Most of the companies here (paving,dirt,excavation) pay union wages or a little better. and for them most part I have found that some of the dirt and excavating companies go year round, with maybe a month off Xmas.

As for the housing. Buy now if you can and sell in a month. youll make money. New houses in most of the city are starting at 350 000 and climbing fast. there isnt enough trades here to build them fast enough and that is the problem. Demand is there, supply isnt.

If operators are in such a demand in Alberta then there is a good chance that an inexperienced operator could get a break. Some companies (from reading previous posts) actually prefer training someone new so that they can be molded into their way of doing things.
What about rent in Calgary? Out of this world to I suppose.

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
What about rent in Calgary? Out of this world to I suppose.[/QUOTE]

That depends on how you want to live. I have a decent apartment, 1100 sq ft, and I pay 700 and that includs heat, light , and water. I have herd appartments going for a LOT more. Same if you want to rent a house. Step sister is paying 2200 a month for here place, but it is a littler fancier and in a lot more snobby part of town. There is a group of young Newfies that come out for the season and they rent a house. Last I heard. there was about 8 of them in a two story, 4 bed room house. They split the rent and it cost them about 300 a peice/month. it depends on how you want to live.

There are plenty of openings for Excavator operators, and then a lot of them usually go to the piplines in the winter to make a lot more money.

SharkBait

Thanks for the replys. I have been thinking about moving to calgary, don't really know anyone out that way though. So do most companys not work through the winter time? I wouldn't mind having time off to fly home. What about the girls in calgary :wink2

MVFD

You'll find with alot of companies that they will lay off the guys that are lower on the list over the summer. since thats when everything softens up and its alot harder to get the drills in.

Most of the work, as far as Im aware from friends and family that work the oil fields they work the most in the winter months since everything is frozen.

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
if you can try to land a camp job grab it,free food and a bed to sleep in.stay away from the liquor and drugs if u can and u'll be fine,hear alot of horror stories and friends that went out and came back crystal meth addicts :(

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
A friend of my brother's is working in Alberta driving truck in a camp situation they supply you a place to live and you work 20 on 8 off he is making 6 grand a month.

I don't think I could work 20 days straight I have done it with the job I have now a person gets pretty testy.

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
The good thing about Alberta, is that not all of the work is in the north, and have to live in a camp. There is more than enough work in the rest of the Prov. and a lot of it can go year round like some of the Dirt Companies did this winter, and im told the last couple. ( the odd day off due to cold)

SharkBait

Alright, I decided I am going to move to calgary. Should I just show up in calgary and start handing out resumes? Or should I try to find a job before I go? I only have about 3 weeks time on an excavator, I don't mind doing labour work if it will lead into an excavator. Anyone know of any company's around calgary? I emailed some that had websites, Should I be calling the others? Any help would be apprieciated. Thanks

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
You better find a place to rent first I looked up classifieds online to see what is to rent in Calgary or Edmonton there isn't much and the places are for rent isn't cheap.

Take a trip out there and see what you can find you may want to take a tent with you so you have a place to stay :D

MVFD

It would be safer for you to apply to the companies online. they take alot of people that way. I just talked to a guy tonight that works in fort mcmurry for 4 months 1 month off, and he gave me some names to look up on google, and said the best way is to apply online.

I would also think about buying yourself an 18ft trailer that you can live in for awhile. it might not be the best living but its the cheapest. and if u did go to a camp youve got everything there... just make sure you buy one with a roomy shower. I know lots of people that went to alberta and bought trailers to live in. but make sure you buy them from ALBERTA, other wise youll freeze your ass off in the winter months as BC trailers dont usually come insulated for the -20 tempertures.

Good luck. Im thinking I will start looking to see whats out there. but dont plan on sending any applications out for a long time yet... gotta see where I go with this new guy. Im always looking for an oppurtunity.