• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New key switch??

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
I wanted to ut in some new starter key switches. Four machines all the same key after decades of thinking about it:Banghead.

I was looking for something like Hobbs keys not a CAT key where they are all the same. I can't find a dealer for Hobbs product when I Google.

Any suggestion on durable key switches where they are not all the same is appreciated. Hobbs has 300 different keys.

thanks for the help I'll continue to try my skills at Google.

Hobbs site doesn't give a search for dealers.

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Are you looking for four switches that don't use the same key?

Or possibly four switches that use the same key but are a weird key that someone else wouldn't have to steal your machine?

Speedpup

Occupation
Are you looking for four switches that don't use the same key?

Or possibly four switches that use the same key but are a weird key that someone else wouldn't have to steal your machine?

four of the same key. I guess if you are into stealing heavy equipment the key won't stop them.:eek: I do want to be able to have a cut off switch for the injection pumps on the deere motors. Any idea of a decent dependable in line switch for that purpose? I guess I need to put it where I can get to it easy but still cause a thieve trouble. Doubt they will steal the relics but I don't want to give them use of it if they are stealing scaffold and plank!:Banghead

thinks

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager

Speedpup

Occupation
This is a common universal switch that I have used many times, uses a Pollak key. Depends on size of hole your working with though. Your local autoparts should have a Standard Ignition or BWD catalog that you could look through and find a suitable replacement switch. Two types of switches that use a common key are the Pollak key and Cole Hersee key.

http://pollak.thomasnet.com/viewitems/switches-starter-switches/ignition-starter-switches?&forward=1

I have standard now but it short time one key fits all :eek: You go up and wiggle a similar key and they work.:mad: I try to just keep a few on the work ring as to not have all the weight swinging on the key barrel.

Are the Pollack keys different or all the same like a CAT?

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I have standard now but it short time one key fits all :eek: You go up and wiggle a similar key and they work.:mad: I try to just keep a few on the work ring as to not have all the weight swinging on the key barrel.

Are the Pollack keys different or all the same like a CAT?

The Pollak key as well as the Hencol key are all the same. The Pollak key will fit any Pollak type switch, the Hencol will fit any Hencol type switch. But a number of equipment manufacturers used these type keyswitches, so it's possible someone else could have a key to fit your machine, they are very common. But these type switches are readily available from a local parts supplier instead of an OEM switch, shouldn't cost you a bunch of money to change them out.

heavylift

I worked at a place that had metal covers made and installed over the key switches... the boss would unlock the padlock every morning....

Speedpup

Occupation
after having the radiator and tranny cooler ripped out I am making a rolling armored cars out of these machines.:mad:

Championized

I have ground disconnect swithes on all my equipment in places that are not visible but still accessable to those that know where they are. Doesn't save tranny coolers, etc., but does protect the machine or vehicle from theft. It also ensures a strong battery in cold weather.

Speedpup

Occupation
Do you mean on the main battery cable or just the key switch or injection pump? I appreciate any ideas!:D

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
A couple of years I ago I put in a new ignition switch on my Gradall. Just went to NAPA and found one that would work in the hole in the dash. I don't know if the keys all are the same or not. It's getting the same way, I can take an old Bobcat key and wiggle it to start it.

As far as battery disconnects, I am a firm believer. All my Cat equipment has them. It may not stop a thief but it may stop a joy riding kid who happens to have a Cat, Deere, etc key. I bought the Cat style disconnects, so we would have one key, and installed them on some other equipment. Not fool proof but an extra layer of protection.

The type of disconnects I have just kill all power coming from the batteries.

Championized

Do you mean on the main battery cable or just the key switch or injection pump? I appreciate any ideas!:D

Yes, on the main battery cable. You just re-route your ground cable to where you want the switch, install the switch and then carry on with the ground cable to where it was before. When the switch is flipped you have no ground hence no power anywhere on the machine. It also eliminates any type battery drain overnight or any time the equipment sits for awhile.

Speedpup

Occupation
thanks for the info I had a battery disconnect at the battery terminals but they gave me problems I think. How small are the battery switches? Are they like a race car size or marine battery switch? thanks

Raildudes dad

I bought my 87 Ford LTL9000 a couple years ago. It was bought brand new by Eastern Lift truck Company of Maple Shade New Jersey. It has a "blue button" under the dash next to the steering column. That switch disables the truck. In addition to that, there's a non-descript button under the hood on the firewall that also disables the truck. Either or both switched off, and it won't start. Looks like they don't sell Lulls but you might check out their lowboy tractors for a couple ideas:)

Championized

They are about 3" diameter and about the same deep. They have two posts on the back. 3/8" I think. Don't know what they use on race cars.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hi speedpup,
Battery disconnect switches come in various sizes and configurations. But some of the small disconnect switches aren't rated at high amps. To start those cold diesel engines, I'd say you want one with at least 300 amp rating, even more would be better. ;)