• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New member with question about yanmar B3

beergut

hello all- new member from southern Nh-
I just bought a yanmar B3 (or so I believe it to be) mini excavator-
I paid $7500 for it- all the labels are in Japanese- so I have no info on it.
I was wondering what the weight and capacity stats were for it? The previous owner thinks is about 20 years old.
It runs beautiful- he also repacked all the cylinders and installed new tracks and starter.
Another question: what id this feature on the boom- appears to split at the top? Is this a desirable feature or does it weaken its abilities?
thanks for any info & help- 20150529_174918.jpg20150529_174933.jpg20150529_175000.jpg20150529_175050.jpg20150529_175114.jpg

Delmer

That boom looks like it will pivot the center section while keeping the first part of the boom and the stick parallel, allowing you to dig a trench right next to a wall, the same way a side shift backhoe can dig next to a wall. Of course it weakens the boom but useful on a mini excavator.

MX45

G'day,

$7500 sounds like no money for a machine that works fully with a bit of life in it yet. I purchased a Mitsu MX45 with offset ability - my first excavator and have been thankful all the time for its' flexibility in digging in all sorts of situations. I do wonder why the forward sections are white and the other yellow on your machine? If the previous owner has been servicing the machine as stated then perhaps you will have a good run. Being Grey Market Jap you may have to engineer your own solutions to problems but for that money if you get some jobs done it has got to be worth it. Yanmar owners may be able to assist with ID of type of machine, etc. I suggest if you have not done so already you give it a liquid transplant and overall servicing on the motor and drive motors, etc to learn what is where and what it does as well as finding a potential failure before it becomes a problem. Good luck!

Regards, MX45

beergut

G'day,

I do wonder why the forward sections are white and the other yellow on your machine? Being Grey Market Jap you may have to engineer your own solutions to problems but for that money if you get some jobs done it has got to be worth it. I suggest if you have not done so already you give it a liquid transplant and overall servicing on the motor and drive motors, etc to learn what is where and what it does as well as finding a potential failure before it becomes a problem. Good luck!

Regards, MX45

I had the same exact thoughts about the white boom- I did a quick google search and found many other yanmar's with the yellow / white paint exactly like mine, so I guess it's legit.
not familiar with "grey market japan" - I'm assuming this means it's a japanese model? the previous owner gave me a name and phone contact to a local heavy equipment dealer that has parts- he had to replace a track adjuster. good suggestion on the liquid transplant.... but how well will the yanmar run on american beer :huh: :beatsme ;)

Delmer

Grey market Japan just means that the model isn't supported by a dealer network. I have no idea what support there is for Yanmar equipment here. The engines are common enough that engine parts shouldn't be a problem at least.

If you're not sure of the fluid recommendation, either wait until you find out, ask an oil distributor (not TSC etc.) or use a premium hydraulic fluid from any of the major oil companies.