• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Plasma Cutter

hvy 1ton

miller 625 works good up to 3/8 can cut 1/2
miller 2050 works good up to 3/4 can cut 7/8
i have a 625 and really like it

Legdoc

I have a Thermaldynamics cutmaster 50 which cuts 1/2". This has been an excellent unit but, I wish I had a cutmaster 75 (3/4"). You never have enough power!

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
Esab

I have a ESAB 1150 1 5/8" sheer, and 1 1/4" cut as listed by the manufacture. I have cut 3/4" and 1" with no problems, use all the time great on consumables, would buy one again with no hestiation. I have had it for 3 years, had a thermal dynamtics before it work OK, I never liked it much.

jmac

What I was looking for was a unit that could cut at least 1/2". Went to my local welding supply and they had a 50 amp unit for $1600.00. That was the cheapest around. The unit was a Miller. I bought new tips and bigger tanks, and new kart for ox/acy torch (all ready had one) under $400.00. Not a plasma but works alot better than what I had. Still looking for plasma but wonder if you guys think it is worth it over a torch set up? from what I have been told from searching around is the torch is better for basic cutting? Is the plasma worth the money? What kind of air PSI do i need? Was also told that you have to filter air.

Chaz Murray

I have a Hypertherm powermax 600 at home and love the thing...dont know the specs on what it can cut but the most ill ever do at home is 1/4". At our shop for our plasma cnc table we run a Hypertherm powermax 1650 and it runs all day long 5 days a week and no issues.... Also have a couple Powermax 1200 hand plasmas and they work like a champ also. What ever you get make sure its a name brand so in the long run you will know parts will be available in the future. Try to stay with a brand that someone in your town keeps consumables in stock...sucks to have to order parts right in the middle of a project when you could have just gone down to your local welding shop and picked up what you needed and got back to work.