• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New svl75 rear idler leaking oil?

zeroo

Charter Member
Occupation
plumbing contractor
Noticed this today. It is coming from the rear idler. It smells like motor oil. Not grease and definitely not rear end fluid. What the crap. Easy fix but a pain in the *** trip to the dealer.

Attachments

• 4C35CF23-6619-42F1-9647-99FC05A8F02A.jpeg
    4C35CF23-6619-42F1-9647-99FC05A8F02A.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 42

zeroo

Charter Member
Occupation
plumbing contractor
Dumb question, are they oil filled? Do they need maintenance, not that mine should need it at 40hr, but I guess it’s not just sealed bearing.

lantraxco

Typically oil filled, no maintenance, throwaway. Possible being that new it was just overfilled and the heat will push excess oil out if there isn't enough air space to absorb the expansion. Maybe, lol

Tags

I would keep an eye on it, if it keeps leaking go right back to the dealer and get yourself a new one under warranty

Midnightmoon

If it's out of waranty you can rebuild those if the bearing isn't shot. They also can be refilled with oil. If oil came out the bearing wont last long

zeroo

Charter Member
Occupation
plumbing contractor
Update. Dealer pre ordered part and I’m here getting it changed. I tried to get them to let me bring the bad roller and exchange it.

Cpaine

If it's out of waranty you can rebuild those if the bearing isn't shot. They also can be refilled with oil. If oil came out the bearing wont last long
I have one on a CAT that leaks once in a while, do you have any info on how to re-seal them?

lantraxco

They're all similar but a little different, usually the way to pull the seal collars off is obvious, will be a pin or snap ring, etc. Your CAT stealer should be able to order the seals, since nobody stocks ANYTHING anymore... You do one side, flip it, fill it half full with lube while it's open, reassemble and install.