• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New Teeth = New Pins and Rings 100%?

Replace them every time?

• Yes! 100%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The old ones ar Ok

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

skyking1

I'm changing out a couple of worn twin tigers on the corners.
PXL_20240123_231947110.jpg

The pins drove out easy and I cleaned them up and looked at them.
PXL_20240129_210805858.jpg

What say you? I do have the new hardware, and I can bag the old ones if I'm worried about having spares.

materthegreater

Or let the locks out and weld the pins to the teeth

We got some trashed shanks
I always just tack weld so the pins can't fall out. Saves a lot of headaches losing teeth on the job and it's not hard to grind off the tacks when it comes time to change teeth.

skyking1

One of the shanks is beat like somebody did a little digging without a tooth. It wasn't too bad though.
I remember losing a tooth on this machine 15 years ago when I was running it but I haven't lost once since.
I doubt I'll put 200 hours on it before I retire.

BC Placer gold

As a general rule we'll replace the retainers every tooth change and use the pins a couple of changes.

Same here, last season though left pins a bit too long and would no longer engage retainers with a “hard” snap. Started seeing pins protruding on outer two teeth. Pins were substantially undersized due to wear…

Harder digging anticipated going forward with large boulders; will change everything at same time. It seems in our market 210 sized teeth are really reasonably priced.

skyking1

we have about 10% sales tax here, so it started at 82.
Those are the first and last big excavator teeth I have/will buy in 3 years. We are not high consumers.
I could probably put a set of 5 on the 3' bucket, but the shanks are covered and that is what matters there. I probably would have enjoyed new tigers when cutting those stump roots!!