• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New to earthmoving

Scott

Occupation
Farmer Grazier ie cattle rancher.
Hi all
Scott for OZ ie Australia.:)
Glad to be a new member. Hope to talk to some of you now and again and contribute when I can.
I am a farmer grazier in country NSW. We cannot compete with the rest of the world anymore because quite frankly you are all subisides by your governments, are valued and have strong lobby groups. Here in Australia it is the complete opposite. Everyone hates farmers, the only subsidy we recieve is on diesel fuel, we have a useless farmers organisation and the government wants us all out of business.

Hence my father and I are starting our own Excavation business from scratch. Originally we were going to purchase a 24-25 tonne track machine. But have been having 2nd thoughts as the 21 size sells 2 to 1 here and are also easier to sell when its time to change over. We are going to be doing general contracting in the country which is very varied work from dam cleaning to pipe laying and house site leveling and every thing in between. We have orgainised an operator who has over 30 years experiance. We have been told that the 21 size will do most jobs just as well and quick as the 24 all except the larger heavy jobs ie dam cleaning. We are going to purchase a tilting mud bucket, standard rock bucket, ripper and 300mm trenching bucket and maybe a chipper for council roadside clearing work that we may be able to do. What are your opinions on the size difference?

We have to keep the size below 24 so with all the attachments it can be transported on a tri low loader. We believe most jobs will be only a few days at best so it will be moved a lot.

I think if we can get a low hour second hand machine with some warrenty left it will be our best bet to get started. We have been looking into this now for 5 months and are down to either Volvo, kobelco, case or hitachi. The volvo is extreemly comfortable in the cab compared to the case. We are looking at a hitachi this week. We haven't seen a kobelco yet but they are extreemly well priced second hand. I don't know but they don't seem to be very popular here.

As far a service and spares are concerned there are no dealers within 6 hours drive of here. Komatsu has a repairman 3 hours away but komatsu are too expensive I believe, and second hand as well. My father looked at hyundai and they are very "cheap":rolleyes: compared to the rest, but I don't think they have a computerised engine management system with work modes and data logger to record what type or work that has been peformed etc. Is this correct? The other thing is we will be suppling fuel as its safer that way ie cleaner. That means it has to be fuel efficient to be competitive. The hyundai dealer said they would use a local mechanic to do the serviceing if he checks out, which is a big advantage. I have been told and I believe it with our experience with farming plant that after most dealers have your money they don't want to know you till next time. Eg talking to someone the other day bought a new 20 tonne class CAT, it was delivered. Next day owner goes to use it and the battery is flat and it won't start. Calls CAT they come out put a new battery in it and give him a bill for $300 for travelling. ie travelling wasn't included in warrenty or so they said.. You can imagine what he told them, tear it up or take it away.:mad:

I think the volvo, kobelco or hitachi would be the best for us, but have heard bad reports about the volvos track gear not being up to scratch. I am leaning towards a second hand kobelco because of the price and being japanese. Whats your thoughts? From what I have read here there isn't much between any of them. Does anyone here know much about the kobelco's? any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Cheers Scott

Jeff D.

Welcome Scott!!

I saw your post yesterday,and figured I really didn't know enough to help you out on your questions.I figured someone would've jumped in by now,but??
(You really type up a lou-lou,for a first post(a big-un))but that's O.K.!!Someone here's got too have an opinion on your question's.

So,welcome anyway.:)

Who Dat in your avatar??Had that been you,I imagine the guys would've been tripping over themselves to answer your questions.:yup

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums!!:drinkup

I'm sorry I won't be of much help with your questions, but I'm sure someone will jump in before long.

I'm glad you've joined us!!

Scott

Occupation
Farmer Grazier ie cattle rancher.
Thanks Jeff and Steve.
Yes maybe I should have signed off as Elisha and recieved more responses. Sadly she is not my main squeeze and I cannot pass her off as that as someone here will know who she is (Elisha cuthbert).

Drove 4 hours today to look at a new Hitachi 230. Had a little drive and seemed to a learner operator ie me, to be very good. Comfortable in the cab and quiet. The controls were nice and had good feel. The owner said that they had hired a volvo for 5 weeks as there previous hitachi feel off the truck, or more correctly the whole thing fell over during transport. Anyway he told me the volvo was good but very noisy in the cab, and he believed the hitachi to be as good or better in most respects. The noise was mainly hyd in origin. Don't know whether this is a one off or all volvos?

Like many have said on here before there isn't much between them all and its mainly about spares and the backup you will recieve from the dealer.

Cheers
Scott.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
You can't go wrong with Hitachi they are a decent machine. With you being at Australia you will be pretty limited on what you can get I don't imagine its cheap to import equipement there.

As for your avatar you have a picture of my girlfriend :nono

Actually I know some of Elisha's relatives never met her personally :yup

Wulf

Scott said:
Thanks Jeff and Steve.
Yes maybe I should have signed off as Elisha and recieved more responses. Sadly she is not my main squeeze and I cannot pass her off as that as someone here will know who she is (Elisha cuthbert).

Drove 4 hours today to look at a new Hitachi 230. Had a little drive and seemed to a learner operator ie me, to be very good. Comfortable in the cab and quiet. The controls were nice and had good feel. The owner said that they had hired a volvo for 5 weeks as there previous hitachi feel off the truck, or more correctly the whole thing fell over during transport. Anyway he told me the volvo was good but very noisy in the cab, and he believed the hitachi to be as good or better in most respects. The noise was mainly hyd in origin. Don't know whether this is a one off or all volvos?

Like many have said on here before there isn't much between them all and its mainly about spares and the backup you will recieve from the dealer.

Cheers
Scott.

Most of the new machines are of good design and quality. The difference may be down to product support if the dealer has a resident mechanic or parts depot close to you. Whichever excavator you choose you should make sure that the conditions of warranty and their obligations are understood, as you said in your first post the Caterpillar dealer charged for travel on a warranty job. Bear in mind that the dealer recovers their costs from Caterpillar and they receive parts, labor and km (probably no travel time but not sure how Cat works in Australia) They may not be paid at all by Cat for a battery if the machine was in inventory for a long time... here in Canada batteries will freeze if the charge drops too low and its around freezing but i guess that wouldn't likely apply in Oz