• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

New To Me Diesel Storage Tank

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
When I acquired my diesel generator I set up a couple of metal oil drums to store fuel in. Over a few years they started to form some surface rust inside so I switched to plastic this year. The other day I was about to fill one of my tractors and noticed a big split in the side of one of the plastic drums. Thanks goodness it didn't split below the fuel line. The other drum was empty so I just pumped the remaining fuel over to it for now.

SO I'm put out with steel and plastic my next choice was to buy an aluminum tank. I started checking around and new tanks in the 100 gallon range were $700 - $1300 and none to be found. I called a company near me that builds them and they wouldn't sell direct. On top of that the guy said they were 16 weeks and 8000 tanks behind in production.

Moving forward I called a couple of the diesel truck shops to see if they had any suggestions for buying a used saddle tank. The second place I called gave me a contact nearby that indeed had trucks they were scrapping out. I was hoping for a rectangular tank but the few that had those were steel. All the aluminum tanks were round. Most were damaged or full or had something i didn't like but I found one decent one in a pile already removed. Bought it for $160 and change with tax.

I modeled how i want to set it in the barn. I just screwed some plastic chocs to some pieces of landscape timber to form a cradle. The final resting place will be where the drums are now. The filler hole is a press fit for 2" PVC so I am going to use that to adapt my 2" NPT pickup tube for my pump. I have ordered a Goldenrod Dutton-Lainson Water Block Fuel Filter to add in front of the pump. I am also going to add a mechanical fuel level gauge.

IMG_2830.JPG

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Hey NH575E,
Sounds like you were lucky in 2 ways. No big spill, and scored an aluminum tank cheap!

Is there an outlet on the bottom of the tank? If so, is there a valve on it?

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
It has a 3/8" or 1/2" NPT hole in the bottom that is plugged. Also has one 1/2" NPT and one 3/8" NPT hole in the side that have pickup and return tubes welded into them. I have no use for any of it and plugged them. It also has a 1/2" NPT hole in the top with a roll over valve.

Since I will replace the vented cap with a unvented pickup I will probably move my filtered vent from one of my drums to the 1/2" NPT hole in the top. It had a N/O roll over valve in it with a tube connection so I guess it went to a filter somewhere.

edgephoto

My wife and I are planning to build a new house on 15 acres of land we bought 2 years ago. Main reason I bought a backhoe is to put in a road and do some of the site work. I plan to install a mil sump diesel generator as part of the new homestead.

Up here we heat with home heating oil. Home heating oil is diesel fuel. There is also off-road diesel fuel. Off-road diesel and heating are regular diesel fuel with a red dye added. Heating oil/off-road diesel is cheaper because you don't pay the road tax. The dye is added solely to show that this fuel has not been taxed. Truckers, motorists etc. can get fined big time if caught using this fuel in a road vehicle.

We store home heating oil in the basement or outdoors in a 275 or 330 gallon tank. These tanks last for 30 years or more. They are only a few hundred bucks. I bet your local heating supply house can order one for you. Home Depot or Lowe's can do ship to store. They used to only be a few hundred bucks but I see now they are pushing $1000 for one.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
It has a 3/8" or 1/2" NPT hole in the bottom that is plugged.

Perhaps install a valve in place of the plug in case you get some water buildup?

We store home heating oil in the basement

Edgephoto, The basement is a good spot (the temp is real steady all year long). Outside, not as good. Because of the temperature swings, condensation is created, which creates rust. That is why NH575E got rid of his 55 gallon steel drums, they were getting rust inside.

edgephoto

Perhaps install a valve in place of the plug in case you get some water buildup?

Edgephoto, The basement is a good spot (the temp is real steady all year long). Outside, not as good. Because of the temperature swings, condensation is created, which creates rust. That is why NH575E got rid of his 55 gallon steel drums, they were getting rust inside.

I would not put a tank outside if I could help it. The aluminum truck tank was a score. I am jealous.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
What I have done in the past and will continue to do is have my pickup tube for my pump off the bottom enough to account for any sediment or water buildup. After the tank is below that pickup point I use a small fuel pump with a hose and metal tube connected that reach the bottom to pump the remaining fuel into cans for inspection. I would be more concerned about a valve beginning to leak than a plug.

I am concerned the aluminum may form condensation worse than the previous containers did so that will be something to keep and eye on.

I can stick my small pump tube into the vent hole at any time to pump some off the bottom to check. I am also installing a water block filter on this setup so I think I will be covered as far as monitoring for contaminants.

Delmer

The basement is a good spot (the temp is real steady all year long). Outside, not as good. Because of the temperature swings, condensation is created, which creates rust. That is why NH575E got rid of his 55 gallon steel drums, they were getting rust inside.

I've never thought of that angle on fuel storage. That used to be the big reason to put the farm gasoline storage tank underground, it virtually eliminated evaporation loss, and probably helped a lot with condensation. Another possibility would be picking up a junk chest freezer and putting the whole tank inside it, along with some desicant, which can be as simple as silica crystal cat litter or even strips of wood, either can be recharged in the oven or setting on a car dashboard in the sun. The freezer would provide some protection from accidents, fire, and spill containment.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Sounds like you have a good handle on it. Agreed that the aluminum may create more condensation that steel or plastic. Not sure it is bad in Fla. like it is here, the temp swings that is.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I've never thought of that angle on fuel storage

Where my house is in PA, most tanks are in the basement. For the condensation, and also, the fuel jells outside in our cold winters. I try to keep all my equipment topped at all times as well to combat the condensation.

Delmer

yeah, most fuel oil tanks are in the basement here too. I was thinking about translating that, and underground tanks, into something practical for a FL carport.