• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Newbie buying used Cat Excavator - Opinions, Recommendations ?

skyking1

sounds fun! I'll be straight up, I won't bother looking at the 315 picture because it's the wrong machine for the job. I'd be interested in pictures of the woods and property, if you want to share.

landrand

Around here 50 acres is enough land for 2-3 cows even if it is all grass.
The property has a 6.5 acre field. For the last two summers I was able to rotationally graze 7 cows and a few of their calves. I just rotate them every 5 days or so.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Actually, it looks like the filters have 824 hours on them as the hour meter reads 9459 hrs. How many hours does caterpillar recommend to change hydraulic filters on this unit?
By the book - 1000 hours or every 6 months, whichever comes first.
The 6 months could probably stretch to 1 year for someone with short arms and deep pockets.
1000-hour filter changes would generally be for machines on a steady 50-hour work week.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Actually, it looks like the filters have 824 hours on them as the hour meter reads 9459 hrs. How many hours does caterpillar recommend to change hydraulic filters on this unit?

We change engine oil and filter at 200 and hydros at 500. EDIT - didn't see Niges response.

I might be wasting oil and filters but it's cheap insurance IMO. Either way 3 years and 824 hrs is way too much on a hydro filter on a machine that age.

If they haven't changed the oil in 3 years I doubt they sampled the fluid either. Makes one wonder what else they didn't take care of or how they've operated the machine.

landrand

We change engine oil and filter at 200 and hydros at 500. EDIT - didn't see Niges response.

I might be wasting oil and filters but it's cheap insurance IMO. Either way 3 years and 824 hrs is way too much on a hydro filter on a machine that age.

If they haven't changed the oil in 3 years I doubt they sampled the fluid either. Makes one wonder what else they didn't take care of or how they've operated the machine.
He said they run about 500 hours per year operating the excavator. It's a trucking and excavating business. He uses the excavator mainly for clearing lots or perhaps digging basements.