• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

NH curved boom?

coopers

I believe in Europe that's nothing new. Case has curved booms in Europe because Case and New Holland work together or something like that...not sure, someone else knows. Don't think Case North America will go to curved booms.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
What advantage does the curved boom offer? If I don't ask, I'll never know:eek:. Phil

JCBgm

Curved boom offers no advantages. For awhile CAT and Deere were saying that you could dig over walls/obstructions. Kinda hokey.

Case will stick with straight booms in the US. Only reason they build cast iron booms is that they have a foundry that's long been paid for here in the US. Cast is durable, but heavy (bad for balance) and you can't weld on it. Ever notice how case booms come past the kingpost when in transport mode? It's to get that huge weight as far forward as possible.

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
There's been several situations where the curved boom on our Cat has come in handy. Like placing stone in a foundation. I don't know if it would be enough to pay extra for, but we bought used, so price was similar (actually less than Case in the area). Besides, if Cat and Deere had straight booms the Case guys would just say they were being copied for being the greatest or something:p

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I do believe it has more to do with optimal geometry placement and it's probably a stronger design.It begs the question--why then do most excavators also have a curved boom?

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
NH did adapt the curved boom for its BHL product [in the US as well] -- the new boom designs are at ConExpo.

The official reason two different reps gave was that going to the curved boom reduces the transport height of the machine (in this case, by six inches).

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
If the Case people said that Cat copied their machines they have every right to, the earlier Cat machines used almost a perfect replica of the 580E double boom cylinder over center backhoe. Not to mention the copied JD style loader. I have always been told that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Mel.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
The older ones like the B series have Ford stamped right on the back side of the axle. Spicer tranny, ZF front end, and a Perkins diesel.

Duke

If the Case people said that Cat copied their machines they have every right to, the earlier Cat machines used almost a perfect replica of the 580E double boom cylinder over center backhoe. Not to mention the copied JD style loader. I have always been told that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Mel.

CAT dealer told me early CAT backhoes had CASE dippers on the back.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
CAT dealer told me early CAT backhoes had CASE dippers on the back.

I think when CAT first got into the BH market they duplicated what was already on the market. The designs were proven and the customers were familiar with it. Not to mention it cuts down on R&D costs.

CaptDave

Occupation
Captain Toronto Fire Services
One would think that a curved boom would be stronger than a straight one. As in construction, a arch is stronger as it spreads the load out evenly over the entire span.

newjcb123uk

JCB banana

When I worked in the JCB factory in 1991 I saw a "banana" curved boom being put through it's paces in the research department - when i asked why they were copying CATs design I was told that "It was wise to test out what the competition was doing incase it turned out to be better" - forward thinking you see without stubborn pride! Obviously it didn't turn out to be better than JCBs designs as it was never adopted.:cool:

ZX850

Curved Boom

This allows you to load closer to a dump truck and it does allow you to dig closer to the machine without having such a long dipper stick. Some individuals dislike it for visibility when you swing sideways due to the depth of the boom vs the Case cast boom....but if you put a dump truck next to your stabilizer cylinder the curved boom will make it easier to dump into the bed than the straight boom...don't have to stick out as far so you keep your load in your bucket.

radd16

They also changed the boom for extra room for some after market buckets that used to touch the boom. Also changed the hood to flip up now, thats great, instead of the side panels that no one really liked. I think it also helps give it a newer look.

Attachments

• 100_0305.jpg
    100_0305.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 381
  • 100_0304.jpg
    100_0304.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 381
  • 100_0408.jpg
    100_0408.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 382

drag1line

tuney443
To add to the comments. The excavators use a curved boom for one reason..to clear the tracks. On TLB, lower travel height is the real answer for a curved boom. It is true though that the increased cross section does offer some increased structural advantages.
Note, the curved boom first came out in the early 1980's by......DYNAHOE on a model 1900, a 19' digging machine with 120HP and variable piston pumps. 12' cycle times could hit UNDER 6 seconds..but it cost as much as, at the time, as JD 690.