• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

NH Lb75.b Sticky Throttle

Cogniz

My 2004 has been running well on the whole, with a periodic sticky throttle. Pulling the pedal back typically solved it but a few times I'd have to open the engine panel and pull the linkage back to idle. I made a mental note to tackle that later... but like so much of life, repairing one small thing opens the can of worms.
The 4x4 solenoid failed a few weeks ago. Found the part number and ordered just the electric actuator magnet. Turns out when the old one failed, it heated up to the point that the small pipe surrounding the actuation plunger (?) got warped. So no love there. Stuck in 4x4 is ok.
While getting to that actuator, I discovered the foot pedal throttle mounting plate was corroded to the point that it was turning to chalk.
And, the mechanism was equally corroded and difficult to move.

Got the new pedal assembly installed, but now I've realized that the issue is at the injector linkage assembly.2024-04-03 15.09.21.jpg
Looking at the repair manual, the entire injector pump is shown but no exploded view of the cable to throttle linkage.

So my question is, can I relieve the spring tension and pull that linkage, spring, etc apart without removing the injection pump?
I'd like to just clean the parts, lube them and reassemble. Guidance is very much appreciated.lb75.b pump drawing.jpg

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
That lever and shaft are SERRATED.!! It’ll go on in A LOT OF DIFFERENT positions.!!
The shaft will have a cut thru the top of it.. MAKE A MARK on the lever so u can put it back to factory location..

Cogniz

Fantastic input, thank you. I'll definitely make an alignment mark.
So the top linkage is just pressed down onto the splines on the shaft? I"m still unsure how that whole thing is assembled.

Cogniz

Fixed!!

I owe you a beer, ThePumpGuySC!!!
Getting this assembly apart was slow, and in a tight spot. Everything was very, very corroded.
If you had not warned me about marking the post and linkage before, I would have been in a pickle!!

Getting the spring back on was the biggest headache.

First, I pulled the spring connection off the upper arm.
Then the lock nut on top.
Then slowly popped that linkage up.
Then came the spring and a plastic debris seal (?) on top.
Next, the lower plastic seal was seated pretty tight, so worked the edges slowly with a small flat head.
Finally it popped off.
At this point, I could not see how to remove the actual shaft. So I just hosed it down with PB Blaster, worked it back and forth, hosed it again, wiggle more, etc. Did that about 10 times. Finally broke free and was rotating easily.
Reassembled and the throttle (with the new foot pedal assembly) is like new. Seriously she has not run this well since I bought her at auction.
Thanks again for the guidance!2024-04-03 15.09.21.jpg2024-04-04 13.45.21.jpg2024-04-04 13.46.06.jpg2024-04-04 13.46.27.jpg

aighead

Thanks for this write up and the tips @thepumpguysc . This is happening on my machine as well, same year, same model. I've just been dealing with it but now I'll have somewhere to check. It'd be nice for the machine to drop back down to idle when I let off the throttle.

How did you mark the spot and do you have a picture of it cleaned up and reassembled?

Mike-G

Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for this write up and the tips @thepumpguysc . This is happening on my machine as well, same year, same model. I've just been dealing with it but now I'll have somewhere to check. It'd be nice for the machine to drop back down to idle when I let off the throttle.

How did you mark the spot and do you have a picture of it cleaned up and reassembled?
This may be what's going on with mine. I'm going to see if I can clean it up without taking it all apart. Thanks everyone.