• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

No more WD40 and Brake Clean in Canada?????

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I've rarely ever used penetrating oil. Never noticed any difference with or without it. Brake clean is somewhat of a neccessity though. Haven't seen a decent cleaner that will dry with minimal residue.

Its all ok in a shop environment where you've got access to a pressure washer but in the field is where its going to suck.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I've rarely ever used penetrating oil. Never noticed any difference with or without it.
I don't think it really penetrates very far into anything to make a difference breaking loose, but once the nut starts to travel on the rusty stud it makes a huge difference then. Sometimes they break free only to bind up and snap later down the threads.

Old Doug

Every one that uses PB blaster need to watch the videos were it is being tested. I dont think much of penetrating oils ether it just dosent seem to do much but i will keep using it anyway. I have a case of WD 40 that no longer sprays that Dad got some were . I will get a spray bottle and dump it in there to use it.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
One thing I have found by accident, others seem to have found it too, is the idea that acetone/brake cleaner can thin out penetrating oil (or any oil) and get deeper into the whatever. But I rarely have the time or the inclination to actually do it.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
I've got WD40 in my shop consumables collection, but I only use when there's nothing else to hand.

Inox MX3 is the superior product in my neck of the woods. A lot of restorers swear by a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
The acetone will penetrate any tiny space, and the oil provides the lubrication. So it is an alternate penetrating oil that may work better than store bought.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The 50/50 ATF/Acetone mix is greatly favoured by restorers as a recipe to free up stuck engines.

Apparently there is a high level of anti-corrosion additives in ATF, as well as additives that dissolve carbon deposits - so when the ATF is thinned down with Acetone (which is a solvent cleaner in itself), the mix has excellent penetration properties.

However, it is a slow-acting mix, most restorers leave the mix in a stuck engine for a couple of days at least.

Most people want a fast-acting penetrant in a spray can, and one that dissolves rust as well as penetrating.
In my experience, heat is the most effective rust bond breaker - although the "freeze and release" spray products can be effective in many situations, too.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
WD 40 works excellent to check small motors for whether the problem is spark or gas related. I pull the plug, bring piston to the top. heat top of piston for 15 seconds, then heat with my hand torch with mapp gas the spark plug till almost red on end .
Then quickly heat cylinder for 10 seconds again, heat plug for 5 seconds spray WD40 into cylinder with little red pipe on can for 5 seconds thread in plug and start. If it fires right up I then suspect a fuel problem. I have pulled a lawn mower carb and tank right off and run unit non stop by spraying directly into air intake for 5 minutes and engine never stalled. Also great for breaking up oil stains on clothes.
Useless as a penetrating oil compared to Deep Creep, or Moovit.
That what I use it for.
Simon C

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
WD-40 is an excellent "quick lube". No, it's not a penetrating lube per se, just a good quick slickum. Squeaky hinges, WD, diagonal cutters getting stiff, WD. Heck, I spray the inside of hydraulic cylinders when I re-seal them just to give it a quick lube when I'm stuffing the cylinder together. It's just a good all purpose quick lube that's not harmful to paint. As for brake clean, at least for now, in my area I can still get the good stuff with tetrachloroethylene.

IceHole

I go thru a case of B.C. in a week..
The wife gets it at Walmart..
About a month ago there was none on the shelf and she inquired why…& was told they won’t be carrying it anymore..
But a month later it fully stocked..same formula as far as I can tell..
Walmart have good prices?

Last I was there it was like $5 a can. I did a "holleee!"

I get it by the case at Schucks for around $2 a can.