• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

not so new 37g

jozzie2000

Why not lobby for some radial tires on the E model? Damn shame to still be running on rags,especially on the front. Should've at least pulled the Michelins off the rears of the G's when they were new and put on the fronts.:my2c

Probably because scraper tires are near impossible to come by this year, or last year, or any year really. The way I understand it, tire mfg's only gear up to make those nice steel belted radials once a year and they never make enough to meet all of the orders. Don't quote me on that. It does make sense however, keep supply down demand high and prices outrageous right? :)

Not to mention, the H model scrapers came out this year, and you can bet your @$$ cat had called dibs on a few of those tires before they even announced H model production dates.

tireman

Probably because scraper tires are near impossible to come by this year, or last year, or any year really. The way I understand it, tire mfg's only gear up to make those nice steel belted radials once a year and they never make enough to meet all of the orders. Don't quote me on that. It does make sense however, keep supply down demand high and prices outrageous right? :)

Not to mention, the H model scrapers came out this year, and you can bet your @$$ cat had called dibs on a few of those tires before they even announced H model production dates.

Someone fed you a line as far as only producing tires once a year. Those lines run every day, they don't switch from bias to radial and back-each requires a different process and equipment/molds, as well as different rubber compounds.Besides, Michelin only makes radial tires,period. They do not produce a bias ply tire of any sort. It's just an issue of supply and demand, as well as availability( and price) of raw materials.

Last edited:

tireman

Prices have increased so substantially in recent years due to the exorbitant price of crude oil. It takes several barrels to produce an off the road tire.

jozzie2000

Someone fed you a line as far as only producing tires once a year. Those lines run every day, they don't switch from bias to radial and back-each requires a different process and equipment/molds, as well as different rubber compounds.Besides, Michelin only makes radial tires,period. They do not produce a bias ply tire of any sort. It's just an issue of supply and demand, as well as availability( and price) of raw materials.

Yeah, thats why I said don't quote me. He is our local tire guy but he is definitely one of those "feed you a line" guys. We did go to a different dealer and talked to him about what causes the price fluctuations, and he said crude was actually one of the lower cost determining factors compared to some of the other raw materials.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
we always put new on the front, you must have good eyes tireman i still cant see which e had the junk tires, they prob dont even have that many hrs on them, just people not caring, spinning. we do dig in alot of rock too, still no excuse, i see some guys get new tires in a few days have spin marks that go almost all the way round the tire. we did take the new tires off the back and saved them for the front. we park that way so we dont have to chalk our tires, i hate the backing out part also. just pleasing the almighty msha, we have to park into a berm or chalk the tires, its funny seeing a truck faced downhill with a chalk on both sides of the tire, like its gonna roll uphill, stupid stuff like that doesnt really even bother me anymore.

tireman

Pretty sure he means chock the tires, Scrub Puller-to put blocks or wedges against them so they can't roll. I was referring to the newly rebuilt E in the pic of when you first got it back. Those are bias ply tires on it in the photo.

Last edited:

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
i did mean chock, as per msha we must be parked against a berm that goes halfway up the scrapertire, or get out the big orange chocks, msha even wants the dozers chocked, if my bad spelling threw you off Scrub Puller, a chock is a big orange wedge that goes under each side of a tire, even if you are parked on a hill facing down with your can sunk in the ground you must chock both the downhilln and uphill side, the rebuilt scraper is the g that i run, i went back 3 times and looked at the lineup, i came to the conclusion you zoomed in on the tires, sorry i didnt get the 637g sticker in there, my photo skills are just a little better than my spelling skills. those tires are general titans, not even 4000 hrs on them and they are splitting at the lugs, im trying to make them last till they get another new scraper in dec. try to get the michelins off the back of it, the only way ill ever get michelins.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
ya who would of thought a scraper needed to be chocked with the big brake stuck in the ground? Heres another funny new rule, the biologists want us to relocate rattlesnakes to a safe spot instead of killing them. i thought i took a good video of me relocating one last week but it didnt turn out, so i put a couple pics on that i took that day, one is of my pard still trying to figure out how to stay on a pile, in his defense when bentonite dries its really loose and fluffy, a pic of the sun coming up over the mtns through all the smoke, its been terrible lately, a pic of the pit the d11 just got done, the white stuff is the bentonite, were waiting for the drill results so we can pile it up.

Attachments

• SAM_0203.JPG
    SAM_0203.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 595
  • SAM_0201.JPG
    SAM_0201.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 596
  • SAM_0194.JPG
    SAM_0194.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 586

Roy Lambson

I found myself in Wheatland, Wy in Oct of 76', at the tender age of 25, at the coal fired plant being built there. Site prep, with dams, roads and the pad for the generators. Worked for Forgey moving overburden at Exxon's Highland mine north of Douglas, Rissler-McMurray on the first straightening of #59 toward Bill, and finished my time in the state with five years at Bear Creek Uranium, also north of Douglas. Moved to AK in 84' for more road construction. Also worked a season for Neosho, constructing a piece of the new coal train railway (at what would become the Antelope Mine) east and south of Wright. That was the horrible winter if 78'-79' and I have always wondered how the 2', 3' and sometimes more of muck, slush and crap that went into some of those fills worked out for them...different times and a pleasure to recall.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
they still tell stories about the days the power plant was being built, wild times. that town was too small to handle so many young working men, you prob had some beers at the commadores. i remember sledding off the roof of our shop in 79, so much snow it was like one giant snow drift, big shop too.

gd10r

I have the forgey dissolution auction and all the Rissler auctions as well. Forgey had some great looking iron when they got rid of it. Graham