• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

NYS Mack Granites!

telescooper

The PA DOT has had tandem Granites for a couple years now. Most of them have a right side wing plow installed for snow plowing. The biggest complaint is the trucks are under powered when plowing snow. The older macks have more power, but lack the comfort of the granites.
Merry Christmas, Telescooper

Hydro101

the govt's buy whatever truck dealer kicks up the most money to their party...

Around here the munis run just about anything! It really depends on the town and even then you will see a mack and peterbilt together, ext.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I've seen on the news where that's how things worked in Jersey for a while and some politicians are going to prison for it. In NY the award goes to the low bidder.

kamerad47

Nice to be the gov Those trucks would last a private contractor at least 10 yrs. not the gov.! They can wreck trucks & you can't fire them! If you take big campaign funds they expect something in return. it happens in NY too!

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
NYS generally puts heavy trucks out to auction after 15 years of service, pickups after 10 years service. Are you involved in NYS procurement kamerad?

kamerad47

Steve No I'm not but You should know how it goes!! go by your Gov. yard & see if you can find a truck older than a 1998 It's rare!

calhoonie

Hi I'm new to this site but I have a question about plow and sander trucks. Why do most cities and towns spec their trucks with automatic transmission vs. the manual? If an automatic usually costs more to be spec'd, what is the purpose? :beatsme Thank you!

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
The rates that some municipalities pay their employees often don't attract the best drivers, automatics are easier to drive than standard transmission trucks. The transmissions in heavy trucks are far more complicated than those in cars and require some skill to drive properly. Unfortunately that skill seems to be slowly disappearing. More and more trucks today are spec'd with automatics, as the reliability of those transmissions has improved through the years as well.

Jeff D.

Hi I'm new to this site but I have a question about plow and sander trucks. Why do most cities and towns spec their trucks with automatic transmission vs. the manual? If an automatic usually costs more to be spec'd, what is the purpose? :beatsme Thank you!
Welcome to the site Calhoonie!!:drinkup

I'm gonna take a guess at them spec'n the auto's because they don't have a break in the power while shifting (power is always at the wheels during acceleration), which if you're pushing alot of snow may be important.

That's just my guess, but I had an L8000 dumptruck with a funnel plow, and when I was plowing ALOT of snow keeping the power on was important, plus I was trying to pay attention to mailboxs, etc while driving, so not having to worry about shifting was nice with the auto. No(well less anyways)distractions.

That may be the wrong reason, but it's my guess.:beatsme :D

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
plus I was trying to pay attention to mailboxs, etc while driving,

How many points did you lose if ya left one standing?:cool:
Wait I got another one: Did somebody get a box of grade stakes in the mail?:D :falldownlaugh

Calhoonie, what Steve and Jeff said are right on, plus the auto is generally easier on the rest of the drivetrain too. The theory is to pay more upfront, and pay less in repairs over the life of the truck.

Tn Bulldog

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/ Truck driver
something was mentiong about the troubles w/ the new mack motors the biggest problem is VO**O:mad: Ya put a D series VO**O Motor & a MP Series Mack motor its the same motor :eek:

Give me a E6 & E7 Mack motor over the new MP Series motor ;)

later yall

Bulldog