• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

O-Ring Boss fitting troubles

hosspuller

I have a 45 degree O-Ring boss fitting that's leaking. The problem is: It's installed in a valve that is obstructed and prevents fitting removal without removing the valve. The valve is buried in the machine and is almost inaccessible. The fitting can be unscrewed about 3/4 of the thread before hitting the axle housing, so the washer and the O-ring is accessible but not changeable.

Is there any solution or trick to the leak I'm missing ?

OringBoss.JPG

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Without seeing the bigger picture, kinda hard to say you have other options, but it's looking like valve body removal.

Cmark

If removing the valve is out of the question a couple of things I can think of:

Grind a pocket in the casting that it is hitting.

Or

Saw through the fitting to remove it then replace it with a straight nipple and remake the hose with a 45 or 90 degree end.

Last edited:

excavator

If removing the valve is out of the question a couple of things I can think of:

Grind a pocket in the casting that it is hitting.

Or

Saw through the fitting to remove it then replace it with a straight nipple and remake the hose with a 45 or 90 degree end.
That is my thought. Turn the fitting so it's pointing up, put some hardening silicone in it, let it dry and cut through the fitting/silicone so that no metal goes inside.

hosspuller

Thanks for the ideas and attention. ….

It's reassembled now, I'll get another pic to show the relative positions and spaces. Had a problem even getting a crowfoot flare nut wrench onto it.

Last edited:

Truck Shop

You sure what your working on isn't made by Feightliner, because their pros at piling sh!t on top of sh!t.

hosspuller

Ok, you guys can rag on me after I make this comment/ suggestion. Unscrew it as far as you can and wrap Teflon tape around the oring. Believe it or not, it does work.

It's not an outrageous suggestion. I think it potentially doable. Especially if it doesn't work, I'm not stuck with a sawed off fitting. I think the problem is either a damaged O-ring or poor machining of the valve or fitting. By the pristine green paint, this problem left the Deere factory.

Vetech, Since you've done this. In the photo, the fitting is out as far as the obstruction allows. Do you mean the actual O-ring or the threads of the fitting? If the threads, I expect the Teflon to wad up in the space intended for the O-ring. The washer and nut should compress it into a seal.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
ORB fitting seals fail for two reasons. 1) age, over time heat takes it tole on the o-ring, it no longer is elastic so it can't compress under pressure and make an effective seal and begins leaking, or 2) in the case of adjustable ORB fittings, which that fitting is, improper installation of the fitting. Some adjustable ORB fittings are "idiot proof", but most are not. If that fitting wasn't installed with the jam nut and washer in the proper position, that is, washer slid fully back on the fitting and jam nut seated against the washer. If instead the jam nut was not against the washer it will bend/deflect the washer on installation, recipe for failure, I've seen it on OEM installed fittings.

Would teflon tape work? Don't know, never tried that on ORB fittings, but I wager if it did work you'd only be buying time.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
A new o-ring "might" be able to stretch over the jam nut?? Worth a try.

Reactions: DB2

Vetech63

Do you mean the actual O-ring or the threads of the fitting? If the threads, I expect the Teflon to wad up in the space intended for the O-ring. The washer and nut should compress it into a seal.
Yeah pretty much. I have done this a couple of times in order to get by. The tape works great, but you have to wrap it in the right direction. In other words, wrap the tape lefty so the loose end doesn't wad up. I personally would just use maybe 2 wraps at the threads right to the oring. Hell, like Willie said, what have you got to lose?

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Yeah pretty much. I have done this a couple of times in order to get by. The tape works great, but you have to wrap it in the right direction. In other words, wrap the tape lefty so the loose end doesn't wad up. I personally would just use maybe 2 wraps at the threads right to the oring. Hell, like Willie said, what have you got to lose?

You're not the only one it has worked for ;)

hosspuller

Here's the whole picture of the fitting location. Tight as a Frog's *** The lower 45 fitting is the leaker.

Just noticed the jam nut is closer to the valve body than the other fitting. Machining tolerance part of my problem ? Will apply some Teflon tape to it. Wish me luck o_O

FittingLeak.JPG

Truck Shop

See if mg2361's idea of stretching a new o-ring over the top of the jam nut works .......... obviously before you cut off the old one. o_O

And cover the fitting and o-ring with Syl Glyde before you try it. It will probably slip right over using a O-ring Pick real easy like.

hosspuller

Looking those up close pictures, and guessing that that's an axle below, couldn't you just loosen the axle bolts and jack the frame away?

Thanks for the thought... It's a Deere 5065e There is no frame. Everything rests on the engine, trans and axles. The offending part houses the brakes, reduction gears, axle shaft, and God knows what else. Plus the ROPS and fuel tank sits on the housing. I think, a sharp stick in the eye would be preferable. :(

hosspuller

Tried to tighten the fitting (after backing the nut and washer)
into position. It wouldn't meet the tube by a quarter turn, So had to back it off 3/4 turn. … The O-ring Teflon is wrapped and the fitting jam nut tightened. This week-end, I'm cutting hay. I'll report back in a few days. Thanks to all, for the support and Thoughts.
TeflonCoated.JPG Tightened.JPG