• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

off road fuel

shadow2

i need to find the right tank for above ground storidge with the contament tank around it two 500 gallon tank one on and one off.

i am also doing a 750 gallon fuel trailer with an air grease gun i need to meet the 1000 gallon delivery for the price break of 10 cents per gallons

thanks for your help

Randy88

Not sure if your wanting to build one or buy one, if your a contractor you might want smaller tanks, in my state anything over 110 gallons per tank needs a hazmat endorsement to move, but I can have up to a total of 1500 gallons total in less than 110 gallon tanks and avoid the hazmat and hiked insurance costs to have hazmat.

Everyone around me has a machine shop build the containment tank and just puts an ordinary tank inside it for storage, as for trailers, most around me are custom built to meet the persons specifications and needs, a few can be bought just google them on the internet, I can't recall now but several send me emails all the time about their trailers for sale.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Randy I think that's a Federal hazmat rule but I could be mistaken, we have the same reg. here. :beatsme

Shadow are you wanting two 500 gal tanks at the shop? If so you can get 500 gal double walled tanks, in AL they meet reg's without secondary containment. If you are required to have containment, then a concrete pad with concrete block walls around it can be an economical solution. I don't remember the calculation but I think it's 1 and 1/2 times the size of the tank. Check your local and State regs.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
110% of the size of the largest tank CM. That's why a couple of smaller tanks behind the same containment wall will actually require a smaller size of containment than one large one. Obviously the theory is that no more than one tank will fail at one time.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I use a 500 gal double wall tank like CM mentioned at our shop, meets regulations without a containment pit.

ValleyFirewood

I use a 275 gal basement fuel oil tank. Just have 100 gal min on delivery, paid in cash gets the best price. Last I bought was 3.75 while road fuel is 4.10.
Odd thing, I've never seen dyed fuel. It's clear if its on or off road fuel.

AK HDM

Occupation
Retired HD Mechanic/Welder/Electrician
I use a 275 gal basement fuel oil tank. Just have 100 gal min on delivery, paid in cash gets the best price. Last I bought was 3.75 while road fuel is 4.10.
Odd thing, I've never seen dyed fuel. It's clear if its on or off road fuel.

Alaska is exempt from using dyed fuel. If we had to use dyed fuel the fuel barge companies would have to have another fleet of barges, & a lot of the bush villages would have to have another tank farm for the non dyed fuel , Some of the villages use one fuel which is Jet A so they can use it year around.

ValleyFirewood

What source do you have on that? I have a few friends that work for Crowley and Fisher and they had no idea on the reason.

I'm not saying you aren't correct, but before I tell others, just wanted more than "read it on the interweb"

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
The question I am curious about is why a fuel tank in the first place? I know of no company hat has their own fuel tanks any more, with permitting and construction costs it is cheaper to have a transfer tank in their work trucks to fill equipment. If there is a fuel requirement exceeding what you can haul in a work truck, they contract with a fueling company to do all the refueling. The costs here (Pacific NW) preclude storing your own fuel CFN and Pacific Pride have both highway and off highway fuel almost on every street corner it seems. There is just no decent price break handling your own fuel.

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
I have onsite fuel- no-lead gas, clear and dyed diesel bulk storage for the convienence to get equipment fueled prior to leaving for the jobsite, it normally is a few cents more but in my opinion worth every cent of it. We also have several tanks in trucks that are under the 110 gallon threshold to get around the hazmat issue.
The question I am curious about is why a fuel tank in the first place? I know of no company hat has their own fuel tanks any more, with permitting and construction costs it is cheaper to have a transfer tank in their work trucks to fill equipment. If there is a fuel requirement exceeding what you can haul in a work truck, they contract with a fueling company to do all the refueling. The costs here (Pacific NW) preclude storing your own fuel CFN and Pacific Pride have both highway and off highway fuel almost on every street corner it seems. There is just no decent price break handling your own fuel.