• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Off-road vs. on-road fuel

Electra_Glide

Somebody once told me there's no sunch thing as a dumb question, so here goes...

I have been running "off-road" fuel in my 2006 Bobcat S175 since I got it. This weekend when I went to pick up some fuel, there's now a big sign on the pump that says something like "High Sulfer - home heating use only. Not intended for use in internal combustion engines".

I remember reading something, somewhere about ulta-low sulfer diesel, and newer engines for on-road trucks.

Since there are a bunch of people on here who are smarter than me, can somebody educate me on the difference? Also, what "should" I be running in my machine? I did a quick scan of the owner's manual (i know, reading the instructions...what a concept...:beatsme), but didn't see anything one way or the other.

Thanks guys...

Joe

thehose

Occupation
Funeral Industry
The new stuff for 2007 and newer vehicles is called Ultra-Low Sulfur it is 15ppm sulfur

The previous fuel was 'low sulfur' and 500ppm.

So the new trucks (2007 and up) have DPF's (Diesel Particulate Filter) and such special stuff, they are only supposed to use the Utra Low Sulfur.

As long as your machine(s) don't have the new 2007 emissions stuff you can run the older 'low sulfur' fuel.

What they are calling High Sulfur is because in comparason to Ultra-low it is is High.

jmac

I have both fuels on hand " of road, or fuel oil" and " on road diesel" and the what I have noticed is when I have the off road in my machine's the blue smoke that comes out of them for the first 5 minutes is considerable more than when I run on road diesel. I don't think it affects the machine much either way but you can tell the difference in smoke at start up. I was also told that the regulations in NY for of road are changing to make it harder to use off road. The price difference is about .30$ per gallon.

nedly05

I've been told that in some older diesels the lower sulfur content can cause injector pumps to burn up due to a lack of lubrication??:beatsme

thejdman04

You can run "lsd" (low sulpher diesel) 500ppm sulfer or usld 15 ppm in your machine. Usld is only required for machines w/diesel particulate filters

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I've been told that in some older diesels the lower sulfur content can cause injector pumps to burn up due to a lack of lubrication??:beatsme

There is less lubricity to the new ULSD, so it will cause more ware on the fuel system. It’s not anymore an issue with old or new iron.