• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ohio wind farm work

catkicker

Occupation
Crane Operator
Here are some pics of blue creek wind farm in Ohio. 152 Gamesa G90's
We have 2 1600's, 1 1350, 1 1400 Liebherr cranes. 2 999's 1 American/Terex HC125
Kobelco 2000
and several Grove and Terex pickers.
1600's have 400' of boom.

Here are a few picsrotor2.jpgmuddy offload.jpgrotor1.jpg999 line push.jpgrotor4.jpg

Tiny

I haven't had to play in sloppy mud like that in months .I'm almost jealous . How long does it take to set one up (wind mill) once the footing is ready?

heavylift

the Kansas job. They set the bottom... grout and tension them...don't know the time frame as to how long they set to cure. there are 4 crane used to set the bottoms and off load trailers ... 999's and 218's ...these crews are way ahead of the rest of the activity
999's are used to set the bottom, the 218's tails the load..
the bottoms have trailers that unload without assistance of cranes. The other tubes and blades require 2 cranes. Nacelle and hub is unloaded by a 999.

They have 18000's setting the rest of the parts.. I'm pretty sure they do it in a day maybe two... not real sure... The wind is the biggest factor...
The nacelle is fitted with the hub assembly... don't know the total weight , but the nacelle by itself is 80 ton... Blades are 15,000 pounds each, assembled one at a time in the air ... haven't heard the weight of the mid and top section..

Last edited:

hounddoglily

I live in Duluth MN and see alot of the wind mills come off the ships right here at port. I do know that one day they were moving a motor section of the mill, on a flat bed 50 Ton and the trailer broke right in half.

heavylift

nacelle and bottom tower trailers

The trailer in the foreground is a nacelle trailer, it weighs so much empty that the rear tag axle has to remain on the trailer, it is a 10 foot wide, it weighs around 125,000 to 150,000, as near as I can guess. The nacelle weighs 80 tons or 160,000. The combined weight was 280 to 290,000.

The trailer in the background is a unit that hauls the bottom section, it self offloads the tube.. weight unknown. the rear part is pulled backwards after the unloading, which makes it a double combo affair

Attachments

• Photo442.jpg
    Photo442.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 903
  • Photo444.jpg
    Photo444.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 893
  • Photo441.jpg
    Photo441.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 867

barklee

That's wild u posted this, I live just down the road from the farms. Wanted to ask somebody where are all the cranes from? They are blue in color....at least the ones I saw. Is the project going well? Seems so, there has to be 300there towers there.

catkicker

Occupation
Crane Operator
About a 150 or so turbines on the blue Creek farm there is also a smaller wind farm NW of blue Creek project.
those 1600/2 Liebherr's, the big blue and white ones are Biggie cranes.

mitch504

I wonder why they go to the expense and weight of self-unloader trailers for the tubes, since there are so many cranes there already?

heavylift

@mitch504... best guess is to reduce the height of the trailer and to save weight... they may be at least 14 to 16 foot in diameter, my best guess there... the tube is the trailer frame... I think the tube trailer and the nacelle trailer have 50 wheels each on the ground...

I know the blades can't take the short way because there is a 15' 9" overpass, nor can the nacelles as they go thru town also.. but the tube come from a different location, one driver said they slow to 10 mph on bridges