• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Oil color?

512high

Hi Everyone, This might be a stupid question...so here it goes. I have a 2011 John Deere 244J compact wheel loader w/about 2,000 hours. My owners manual says change engine oil and filter every 500 hrs., well I bought the machine used, and the last oil change was done 1,300 hours, so I changed it as soon as I got . BEFORE I changed the oil, I checked the level which was fine, but black. I changed the oil and filter ran it ,checked it...its black still! Is this normal? I have a 1997 Ford f350 power stroke, and when I can that oil it stays golden for a while.... Thanks

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
A lot might depend on how hot you got the old oil before draining it. Maybe qutie a bit of oil was left in the engine. If the last oil went 1300 hours before changing it certainly wouldn't hurt to change it a couple of times in quick succession. Make sure you get it really hot before draining it.

512high

Nige, Thanks for the response, the last oil change was done at 1,300 hours according to the writing on the oil filter, so I may do what you say about changing a few more times, and to be honest I think I just watched temp guage get to normal, shut it off and drained.....is there any harm if I don't change it right away? Its only used for snow removal, however, once a month I drive it for a mile or so, to keep things in check etc....Philip