• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Oil supply from pan 335 taper nose crank cummins

workshoprat92

Trying to revive an old 335 taper nose crank cummins. The oil pan that was on it is a rear sump cast aluminum pan with two oil suction ports and two hoses to the oil pump. The hoses come together at a very large T at the oil pump20221209_054923.jpg
Im pretty sure this pump is a newer style replacement pump as the dual pickup pump is no longer avalible. I need to change the pan to a front sump plus my rear sump pan has been crushed and us no longer usable. I am not having much luck finding a front sump pan with dual oil suction ports. Onlg one single. I think the oil line from the pan on a single feed is much larger. Best i can measure the port size on the dual and single feed pans are the same. Question is does anyone know shy they used a dual feed setup and will it hurt anything switching mine to a single feed with the larger hose?

Truck Shop

Yes it will work. The steel pans for front sump later low pressure systems only had a a 1" steel tube.
The high capacity 11 gal aluminum {T} shaped front sump pan used in late 70's is real hard to find.
No aftermarket.

Truck Shop

It was dropped from production because it was finally determined it wasn't needed.
Plus with dual pickup it scavenged the pan.

workshoprat92

Here is the fitting for the double feed pan. Im sure the single feed fitting is much larger. That seems to be the only difference between the two feeds as far as the pan port size goes. All the pans have the same size port. I need to find this fitting for a single feed i guess20221213_094602.jpg

Truck Shop

To explain it further, if oil level wasn't kept at optimum plus jakes being used plus
going down hill/tilt it pushed so much oil to top of engine. Causing weak jakes
because of oil aeration. Those pans only held about 8 gallons.

workshoprat92

To explain it further, if oil level wasn't kept at optimum plus jakes being used plus
going down hill/tilt it pushed so much oil to top of engine. Causing weak jakes
because of oil aeration. Those pans only held about 8 gallons.
I have been kicking around the thought of finding a 10 gallon steel pan and welding a new oil pick up in it and deleting the stock pick up. I like the idea of the larger oil capacity.