• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Case 580 CK won't shift into reverse

Ruffasacob

I bought a 1967 gas 580 CK with mechanical shuttle. I knew it had shift problems when I bought it but it would go into reverse. It sat for a few years and I've started to work on it now. It won't shift into reverse. The gears start to grind when moving the lever. It will shift into forward. I pulled the shuttle cover off and it does have a broken blocking ring which seems to be the obvious reason, and I do have a new one. I can't figure out why it would shift when I first brought it home but won't now. My question is do you think the broken brass/bronze blocking ring is the only problem?
I can't figure out why it grinds if I have the clutch depressed. Nothing should be spinning in the gear cases with the clutch in correct? I thought the clutch may need adjustment, but it works in forward.
Any help appreciated.

IMG_6032.JPG