• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Cat D2 barn find

LG 78

Hi team
Ive just sent my 17a in for a bit of TLC into a workshop
While I was there one of the owners showed me a couple of old tractors
One is a very nicely done up Cat 22 (couldn't find a serial number sorry)
The other is a very well looked after D2 5J 1724 a real beauty just a bare machine never had a blade or PTO fitted
He was reluctant to let me take a photo but will try again when I am there next
Can some one please tell me what year the D2 is and when the 22s were built?
He hinted that he would like me to start them as he has no idea how to
I can get around the D2 ok but can anybody give me some tips on the 22 please as Ive had nothing to do with them
Any help is always greatly appreciated
Cheers

Rob Gunn

You may want to log onto the Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owners website. I was a member years ago and fond the guys in that club were very helpful with the old Cat stuff.

Lumberjack Matt

Those are some nice looking tractors!

All the info about years can be found on the ACMOC site. That D2 was made in 1939, the 22 was made from 1934-1939. If you want some help in starting them, you should post over there...they always appreciate photos and giving advice.

Here are the links if you are interested:

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
The serial number might be cast into the block like the 17A and the D47U's , both dozers have it on the same place . Between the 2 sticks on this one . Is that your winch for a D7 on trade-me dozer section?

Attachments

• DSCN1636.jpg
    DSCN1636.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 7
  • RSCN1637.jpg
    RSCN1637.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 7

LG 78

The serial number might be cast into the block like the 17A and the D47U's , both dozers have it on the same place . Between the 2 sticks on this one . Is that your winch for a D7 on trade-me dozer section?
Gidday yes thats my winch Broke down a 17A for parts as I need to do a final drive in my good one
But the cost is going to be to great for me to complete to may be selling the old girl and sticking to my D6C It will be very hard to part with though

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Gidday yes thats my winch Broke down a 17A for parts as I need to do a final drive in my good one
But the cost is going to be to great for me to complete to may be selling the old girl and sticking to my D6C It will be very hard to part with though
Hard cold economics , all right for collectors to pump the money in , not so good to sink $$$$$ into a work machine thats had it's best behind it .