• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

old cat dozer (video)

wrenchbender

She looks and runs good, around these parts on farms still see a lot of old cats with cable operated blades. I don't think you can wear'em out their like the Energizer Bunny they keep going & going ......

Jeff D.

Good video!!:thumbsup
..around these parts on farms still see a lot of old cats with cable operated blades.
Here's a question about those old cable dozers. Did they rely soley on the blade weight for down pressure, or was there some way with the cables they could pull the blade down? I've never really looked at how the cable systems worked on them.

Thanks!!:)

wrenchbender

Good video!!:thumbsup Here's a question about those old cable dozers. Did they rely soley on the blade weight for down pressure, or was there some way with the cables they could pull the blade down? I've never really looked at how the cable systems worked on them.

Blade weight and cutting edge pitch. This makes it so much more amazing what the operators can accomplish with these old gals.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Go back and look at the video again. 29 seconds into the video you will see a cylinder. This is not a cable operated dozer

Jeff D.

Go back and look at the video again. 29 seconds into the video you will see a cylinder. This is not a cable operated dozer
I did see the cylinder up front on that one, but asked about the cable dozers after wrenchbender mentioned those kinds still down on the farm.

544D10

Occupation
Lucas & Mercier Construction Co.
That things got style. Kinda reminds me of a ol chopped hot rod.

NWH

That thing has bogey wheels on the bottom like an old sherman tank.
Not like any old caterpillar ive ever seen and I have seen alot of them .

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I think that it is a Russian dozer.I have seen similar machines on the Russian heavy equipment sites.The number at the end of the film is probably the model number.That thing is really nose heavy,huh?Ron G

Wulf

I think that it is a Russian dozer.I have seen similar machines on the Russian heavy equipment sites.The number at the end of the film is probably the model number.That thing is really nose heavy,huh?Ron G

I think you are right Ron. The T-74 is identified on this page which matches the number on the film clip and the bogies give it away I think...
http://www.tpaktopc.net/russiancrawlers.htm

DPete

Good video!!:thumbsup Here's a question about those old cable dozers. Did they rely soley on the blade weight for down pressure, or was there some way with the cables they could pull the blade down? I've never really looked at how the cable systems worked on them.

I ran cable dozers alot in past years, One benefit is they will go down as far as the cable is long not like hydraulic that rods out. Not that bad a system if everything is in good shape. DP

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
he is a good operator, that is one hard dozer to operate because the front idler and back sprocket are up in the air. so only the bottom rollers are on the ground.

thansk

TALLRICK

Does anyone know which models of Caterpillar had the winch control lever to the right of the seat, coming from the rear of the machine? I saw a bulldozer like that years ago, sitting in a field rusting. Always wondered how an operator would manipulate the winch to raise and allow the blade to fall. I am sure that some of you collect and run these types of machines.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Our old D7 2. war models has a winch controll like the one you are describing.
The handle operates the clutch on the back, the winch then rises the front blade. Small vinch, cable going over the driver and down front to the pullies at front. The pullies then lifts the blade. Looks wierd with the cable quide going from the back and over the dozer.
I don't realy now if this system is added later, but looks like original to me.

A very special machine to operate, dosen't have any down force on the blade though.;)
A popular machine for fine grading and levelling.(when still in use in the 60's and 70's)
It's in our engineer museum now. I had a very good day, when i got to ride all our old iron a day som years ago. (they need some exercise now and then):)

TALLRICK

Our old D7 2. war models has a winch controll like the one you are describing.
The handle operates the clutch on the back, the winch then rises the front blade. Small vinch, cable going over the driver and down front to the pullies at front. The pullies then lifts the blade. Looks wierd with the cable quide going from the back and over the dozer.
I don't realy now if this system is added later, but looks like original to me.

A very special machine to operate, dosen't have any down force on the blade though.;)
A popular machine for fine grading and levelling.(when still in use in the 60's and 70's)
It's in our engineer museum now. I had a very good day, when i got to ride all our old iron a day som years ago. (they need some exercise now and then):)

I found a video of this. Seems like it took a bit of practice to use the machine effectively. Also looks like the blade can be removed and the winch used for other purposes. The older machines really do have more character!

http://www.archive.org/details/Building1948

wrenchbender

Very cool video man things have changed in the last 59 years. Those old machines do indeed have personality but I don't think the operators miss'em to awful much. Thanks for posting:cool:

TALLRICK

Maybe one day some enthusiasts will get their old machines together to build an authentic 40'5-50's project. I would like to participate in such an experience just to see how our parents and grandparents did it.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
How about the Romans? They did it all by hand and some of there roads are still used today.
Hand work is not my cup of tea but on every job there still needs to be some.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I have worked on the sweat end of those mixers filling the cages that hold the rebar with an hand shovel.That vid brought back memories of things I had forgotten all about.Thanks for posting it.Those were the days.Ron G:eek: