• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Cat Powered Gen-Set

mekanik

This is in the Port Clements museum on Haida Gwaii. I'm not sure the vinage.
QJpZQ8y.jpg

Old Doug

About every time some one shows a "old " something it is something i remember from when i was younger. I always was afraid i would get electrocuted messing with old generators but i never did.

Tyler d4c

Sounds like you and I had similar learn in the electric generation classes key point was don't die

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
It's a "bitser" of a Cat genset. The engine appears to be a D318, which was released as a new design engine around 1947 - but I think I can see a plate with "D4600" on the bottom of the radiator side casting, below the "Caterpillar" wording.

There was an earlier model genset powered by the D4600 engine, which called the "46-30" model generating set - with the "46" being the engine reference and the "30" the output in kW.

However, when this size genset appeared with the new D318 engine powering it, the genset was then simply called the "D318 generating set".

So I'd say someone cobbled this genset together using an earlier genset radiator and the rest is largely D318 genset. There's a lot of "bits and pieces" missing from it.

I guess it was put together as a "typical Cat generating set" display, without any reference to historically correct components.

You learn something new every day, though - I had never heard of the Haida people before, but I had heard of the Queen Charlotte Islands, which are obviously now re-named to accommodate the original tribespeople.

Last edited:

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Beautiful country. Haida folks North of the Dixon Entrance, too. On Prince of Wales Island. Not many of them left. Tlingit, Haida and tsimshian.