• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Cats and Adams Pull Graders

Northart

A Cat 30 and Adams is 1st picture

A Cat 60 and Adams is 2nd picture.

Attachments

• Cat30 Adams a.jpg
    Cat30 Adams a.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 2,292
  • Cat 60 and Adams Grader  b.JPG
    Cat 60 and Adams Grader b.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 3,344

surfer-joe

Yeah! And it weren't a whole lot of fun neither. Dusty and sweaty and by noon I was always one tired puppy. The blade was an old Adams model, all manual control. We pulled it behind a Farmall model M. I sure was glad when we got rid of it and picked up a small Allis Chalmers w/hydraulic controls.

Northart

Operation ?

They were operated manually by turning the wheels . All mechanical drive.

The early ones had a dual channel iron frame.

Later ones had a single box beam frame.

The Power Controlled model had a single cylinder gas engine ( Caterpillar's smallest ) to power the mechanical drive , and levers for the Operator to control. :)

Adams had Gas Wisconsin engines.

Northart

Cat 22 Sideseat and Grader

Now look at this marvel:usa , no twisting the neck, here so bad.

Notice the foot pedals on the fender.

Attachments

• Cat 22 Sideseat a.jpg
    Cat 22 Sideseat a.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,762
  • Cat 22 Sideseat b.JPG
    Cat 22 Sideseat b.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,673
  • Cat 22 Sideseat c.jpg
    Cat 22 Sideseat c.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,984

stjo46

Occupation
Artist
I would like to know where that unit is , I would like to walk around it and enjoy somebody ingenuity. That whats makes this site enjoyable pictures like that
Thank You

Northart

Pull Grader ?

Hello Stjo46,

The Cat 22 with side seat was at the HECA show in Pennsylvania, I believe.

There is an old pull grader off the Old Steese, near Fox,Alaska last time I was that way. Another one sitting by Bernie Karls site near the pipeline tourist site.

Also Local 302 has an old Adams restored down at the Palmer Training site.:)

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
I have had the oportunity to operate a grader like that. it was a little smaller than the ones above and was pulled by a team of horses.( the neighbour had a team for a hobby on the farm) We only did his lane which was about half to 3/4 of a mile long. took us four passes and then one more to fix up my mess. it was a real treat, ridding behind the team of horses. After standing on the back of that for a couple of hours, the legs hurt pretty good, and it takes a little work to raise and lower that blade. but it was still one of the most unique operating experiances of my life.

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
Some friends of mine still do their logging and farming with mules. I've helped them many times and all i know is it takes one tough guy to look up a mules rear all day for years.

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
I know but his mules always have some kind of let's call it a... digestive disorder. not pleasant within a hundred feet of the critters when they have a plow down good or a turn of logs hooked up. :eek: :pointhead

stjo46

Occupation
Artist
Good Info

This is all good information I don't know where you can find stuff like this. I guess this is what keeps me coming back to this site. If we are talking about the back end of a mule isn't that pres. Bush.